Author Topic: Albion Alloys  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Albion Alloys
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:15:09 AM »
MICRO TUBING

FROM - ALBION ALLOYS

FIRST LOOK REVIEW BY DES DELATORRE

Albion Alloys has a very extensive range of tubing to suit the model industry. They produce tubing in three different types of material, brass, aluminium and nickle silver, they have kindly sent me some samples of their slide fit tubing in all three materials. The review samples are as follows;

BRASS

SFT1
0.4mm/0.6mm/0.8mm/1.0mm
SFT2
0.3mm/0.5mm/0.7mm/0.9mm
SFT7
1.2mm/1.4mm/1.6mm/1.8mm
SFT8
1.1mm/1.3mm/1.5mm/1.7mm

NiSi

SFT5
0.4mm/0.6mm/0.8mm
SFT6
0.3mm/0.5mm/0.7mm

Aluminium

SFT3
0.4mm/0.6mm/0.8mm/1.0mm
SFT4
0.3mm/0.5mm/0.7mm/0.9mm

They also sent me some lengths of their MBT12 (micro brass tube 1.2mm).

The tubes arrived very well packed in a rigid cardboard posting tube, each pack of tubes were  sealed within a clear plastic tube and were well labelled, the brass and aluminium packs hold four different size tubes while the Nickle Silver pack holds three different size tubes. Each of the plastic tubes where housed inside another plastic envelope which is also clearly marked with the contents. All the tubing is 305mm or 12 inches in length.

The outer envelope is easily opened by lifting the tab at the bottom of the pack, this will open the sleeve allowing the inner platic tube to be removed, this tab can be resealed once the tube has been replaced and makes for safe storage.

As I said earlier, the plastic tubes are clearly marked with the material and size of the tubes, this particular sample is the SFT8 Brass pack. Each tube is precisely made to fit into each other creating a unique slide fit of all four tubes, the fit is absolutely perfect.

The NiSi tube is made to the same exacting standards and fit inside each other perfectly, there are only three tubes in the Nickle silver packs.

The aluminium tube again is made to the exact sizes to fit inside each other as a perfect slide fit, the only issue I found with the aluminium tube is that it is quite soft and will bend very easily if care is not taken. The aluminium tube comes as a four tube pack.

Cutting the tube is very easy, I used a No.22 new scalpel blade. I simply rolled the tube under the blade, only light pressure was applied to the scalpel and I only rolled it once, it was then very easily snapped with my fingers to result in a very clean cut. As this tube has a wall thickness of only 0.1mm it will crush easily if too much pressure is applied, a little care will result in a perfect cut every time.

The sample pack sent to me also included the new MBT12 which is 1.2mm brass tube with only a 0.1mm wall thickness giving an inside diameter of 1.0mm. This tube was also packed in a sturdy plastic tube, it is also 305mm in length.

POSITIVES

Beautifully packaged and marked, exact sizing, perfect slide fit with each different size.

PRICE

Price varies depending on your choice of outlet.

STOCKISTS

Available from most good hobby outlets, not available from Albion Alloys direct.

CONCLUSION

An excellent product made to precise dimensions, the slide fit tubes are a perfect fit and has countless posibilities in the model field. The brass and nickle silver are excellent tubes, the aluminium is also excellent but is a lot softer so extra care will have to be taken when handling this particular material.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Thanks to Albion Alloys for providing the review samples.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com