Author Topic: Hello from Utah  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Jon Williams

Hello from Utah
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:55:06 AM »
Just found this site and looking forward to gaining wealth of knowledge. Im looking for my first WW1 model. Any suggestion on where to start?  Ive seen some Eduards and Rodens that I like. Opinions?

Thanks

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Hello from Utah
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 05:29:17 AM »
Hello Jon and welcome to this wonderful, friendly and supportive forum.

You'll soon find lots of people offering their advice.

One first question would concern your preferred scale: 1/72,  1/48 or 1/32? There are great options for a first model at each scale. In Roden, Eduard and Wingnut Wings we have a fair bit to chose from (and, of course, there are other manufacturers), though never enough!

Were you to chose 1/48 scale, I'd go for Eduard rather Roden. There are quality models in each catalogue though with my less than nimble fingers I find Roden less forgiving. So, if it were something at this scale, I'd go for a Nieuport N 17 or an Albatros DV from Eduard.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 05:29:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Jon.  Great to have you aboard.  What scale are you interested in, primarily?  Although not my favorite aircraft, in any scale the Fokker Dr.I would be a good starting point.  Almost no rigging to deal with.  Eduard makes nice kits of this aircraft in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale.  Roden makes a decent 1/32 scale kit.  Better still, in my opinion, is the Fokker D.VII.  Both Roden and Eduard have kits of this aircraft in 1/72 and 1/48 scale, with the Eduard kits being by far the easiest and the Roden kits having marginally better detail.  WNW makes a superb series of D.VII's in 1/32 scale.  Which ever you choose, I know you'll have a blast.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:08:32 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
Looks like Nigel beat me to the punch.  He's absolutely right.  Both the Albatros and the Nieuport make excellent starter projects, as well.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline quentin

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:50:06 AM »
Welcome John, i'll not be alone to start a WWI plane, i'd just arrived for the same reason.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »
Welcome, John  ;)

A Wingnut Wings Fokker DVII should fit the bill nicely for starters.  :D

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
Hello Jon and welcome to the forum, so nice to see you here. I only build in 1:32 scale so if you are going down the same road I would suggest the Wingnut wings Fokker D.VII or the Roden Fokker Dr.1 for your first kit.

The 1:48 and 1:72 scale builders will offer their advice for you.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Zabu

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:09:02 AM »
Welcome Jon.

I'll not talk about scales because folks here already said enough for you to have an idea.

My advice will be for you to choose a model with not too much rigging. I'm not trying to scare you with the rigging part of modeling... plenty of friendly people here to give you a hand on any advice you may need.

Plenty of models for you to choose from. With no rigging you have Junkers D.I, or you may try some rigging with Albatrosses, Nieuport or Fokker D.VI or V/V.III or maybe Fokker E.III quite some rigging with this one but very straight forward. These models are probably the best known from modelers and they will provide a nice start.

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »
Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum!  I'm a little late and I see most of your
questions have been dealt with, so all I will add for now is enjoy learning more
about modeling this era aircraft with the knowledgeable people here.
Glad to have you aboard!

Best Regards,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »
Welcome Jon. You've already found how helpful this group can be.

Lindsay

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 01:04:53 AM »
  Jon,
Welcome aboard my friend. I'm glad to count you as a member at this Best of the Best of all WWI forums. I'm very much looking forward to enjoying your projects posted here.

As to your question concerning your first WWI kit. First off I would suggest you work in whatever scale you prefer. As I certain you've seen many outstanding examples here of all the available scales. Like Des 1/32 scale is my preferred scale for WWI projects. WNW kits are outstanding and would make for an excellent first project fro you. If you're concerned that a WNW kit might be out of your skill level at the moment. Take a look at the Academy Nieuport 17, although it's very basic compared to the detail of a WNW kit it can be built up into a real show stopper. With the added bonus of being low priced too. For a little more involved build there's also Roden's excellent WWI range as well.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Jon Williams

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 03:52:35 AM »
Thanks to all who have responded.  Is it the rigging of these WW1 planes that add the difficulty of the build? Ive built a few wooden ships so when I hear about rigging im thinking ive got lots of rigging experince, lol. Im glad ive came across this great forum. After watching Boardwalk Empire, ive fallen for the WW1 era.

Offline Zabu

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »
Jon rigging isn't difficult... it's fun! You just have to think in advance the easier way to do it! But yes... rigging for some non ww1 modelers it's a "not going that way" issue. As to me, it's my favotire part of the fun.

Rigging difficulty depends of the model. Some are quite easy and some take a little bit more!

Pick a scale, a model that you like and don't you get spooky on it. We're here to help in the way we can. It will be a learning process just like us... always learning from each other.

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
Jon, I was scared stiff of rigging, but then through advice from a couple of the
fellows here, instead of looking at it as a whole, which on some planes really
does look scary, look at it as a piece at a time...use your logic to find a good
starting point, then go from it to the next one and so on.  Before too long, you're
done, and keeping your sanity in the process.  Have fun!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 05:51:21 AM »
Missed this one - sorry for the late welcome - enjoy the site

Steve