Author Topic: Ehrenbecker goblet awarded to Otto Esswein (auction)  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Ehrenbecker goblet awarded to Otto Esswein (auction)
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »
Found this photo while brousing the web today. It is a silver presentation honour goblet (Ehrenbecker) awarded to Otto Esswein to commemorate his first victory

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/silver-presentation-honor-goblet-inscribed-to-ott-3448-c-a1fd803af9

Estimated Price:  $5,000 - $7,500

"Born in Wuerttenberg on March 3, 1890, Otto Esswein started his military career with the ground forces before transferring to aviation in 1915. Assigned to Jasta 26 in 1917, Esswein scored twelve confirmed kills to become a "double ace", also receiving the Iron Cross and Military Order of Merit in the process. In July of 1918 he successfully parachuted out of a burning aircraft, only to meet his end in another burning plane 5 days later on July 21. Measuring 3 3/4 inches wide and 7 3/4 inches tall, the goblet is of hammered silver construction, prominently featuring a design of two eagles fighting over the inscription "Otto Esswein/15.11.1917/Jasta 26", November 15 being the date of his first confirmed kill and "Jasta" being short for "Jagdstaffel". At the bottom are a set of 4 ball legs, with "Dem Sieger im Luftkampft" (The Victor in Air Combat) around the base, and a small silver disc marked "CHEF DES FELDFLUGWESENS" (Chief of the Field Air Forces) on the underside. Included with the goblet is some research material provided by the consignor and a set of 9 World War I-vintage photographs, including pictures of German military men (none explicitly identified as Esswein) and aerial photographs of the countryside and battlefields."

Auction is on September 15, 2013, 9:00 AM CST, Rock Island, IL, USA
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Ehrenbecker goblet awarded to Otto Esswein (auction)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
Wow! If I won a Lottery.....................  !!  It bothers me that incredible artifacts such as this fall into the Auction place, rather a Museum setting for all to enjoy. :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
What an incredible piece of history up for grabs, but as Lance said, a museum is the place for an artifact like this, thanks for posting Jamo.

Des
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »
Amazing artifact, Des.  Lance is right...I wish it would end up in a museum.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
Very much agree with you Lance.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
   There must have been literally hundreds of these presented , at least early in the War. Anyone know the background, was the tradition discontinued at some point? I've not seen any reference to surviving Ehrenbeckers, only photos of some of the famous ones. Has anyone here seen one or more on display?
Cheers, :-\
Lance

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:53:53 AM »
Yes I have seen two of Manfred von Richthofen's ehrenbeckers on display at the Aviation Heritage Centre at Omaka airfield, Blenheim (New Zealand). They were acquired by Peter Jackson and are displayed with a range of von Richthofen memorabilia.

There is a display of the actual fabric cross, cut from the starboard side of his famous red Triplane. With it are other items salvaged from the aircraft and MvR's own monogrammed handkerchief. Arranged in front of a photograph of Manfred's room, are other objects belonging to the Richthofens, including father Albrecht's dress uniform, the trophy awarded to brother Lothar on being credited with downing Albert Ball and two of the trophy cups Manfred had made to mark his victories. One of these is number 11, commissioned after Manfred fought his famous aerial battle with Britain's then most highly respected Ace, Lanoe Hawker.

When I visited the Museum I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Absolutely brilliant!
http://www.omaka.org.nz/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:10:00 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »
Now that would be a special day! The more I hear the more I think a trip to N.Z. needs to be prominent on my "Bucket list". Neat stuff, and at least available to the public. I'd love to see it someday................! Thanks Jamo,
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
Hmmm, well the day WNW give us the Rittmeister's Fokker Dr.1 to build.  Then I will find it hard to not go and see some of the original fabric.

As for the Esswein goblet, I'd like it in my hands and full of Aussie beer!  I don't think Otto would mind.

(Steven: you're such a philistein)
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Aerowallah

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:32 PM »
Hi, guys

Came across this thread.  There were about a 1000 Ehrenbechers awarded it is reckoned, funded by private corporate donations, and they ran out in 1918 when the money ran out.  Towards the end paper certificates were handed out!  A lot of the 1000 were lost, bombed to smithereens, or melted down during the hyperinflation.  What makes Esswein's cup special is that he was a double ace, and of the few of those cups that survived the vast majority were not engraved so their attribution will remain unknown forever.  Boelcke's sold some years ago for 50,000 Euros.  Zeppelin crews had their own "Tor" Becher of which 9 are known, and Peter Jackson owns the best IMHO, awarded to the engineer who flew on LZ 38 and made many bombing raids on London possible.  The "Tor" (Thor) Bechers go for many times these Bechers.  Rgds
PS  Essweins Becher is also silver plate and rarer than the hallmarked silver ones.  Before the cups ran out they gave out plated ones for a few months and then "Scheissmetall" and then...a piece of paper for your pains!   

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 01:22:29 AM »
   It's wonderful to hear that a lot of these artifacts have survived. The efforts of folks like "Sir Peter" are commendable. My sole replica is the leather helmet worn post war by Canadian "Nick" Carter of Naval 3 and 10 fame which I posted here previously; I treasure it and will ensure it goes to an appropriate Museum for all to share when "Valhalla beckons"......... ::).
   I'm still serious about getting a visit to NZ, you folks have got a "hockey sock" full of neat stuff there!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »
The importance of these artifacts are becoming more apparent and it is great to see many of them ending up in a museum somewhere. Private collections are also worthwhile but it restricts viewing by the public, many private collectors have their collections under lock and key and will never be seen on public display.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Aerowallah

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:24:43 AM »
It is the private collector who keeps history alive and personal.  99% of a museum's holdings is typically shelved somewhere in a warehouse, which curators were compelled to accept just to get those few items they really wanted in a donor's collection.  Peter Jackson is a private collector who has the money (so long as people continue to pay to see his films) to display his acquisitions to the public.  By the way, another Ehrenbecher on eBay! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281199516865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:31 AM »
      I'm still serious about getting a visit to NZ, you folks have got a "hockey sock" full of neat stuff there!
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance:  I'd love to go to NZ again.  I was there (Auckland) in '77.  I remember going to a museum and saw the machine guns, boots and a piece of the triplane.  I was 27 at the time so it is a pretty good memory.  I also went to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra and some of the stuff is a blur.  I am sure I saw the Richtofen stuff in NZ.  I wonder if we North Americans could put together a special tour, go through a travel agency, get a special rate and head to NZ.  I know that is what we did in 77.  Went with a Church group to Australia, all done through a travel agency.  Food for thought.

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
Mark,
   I'm on my way out the door for a trip down east (Niagara on the Lake, just north of Buffalo) and a perfect storm is inbound there tomorrow, just my luck! Keep that thought, I'll PM you on return late Monday 02 Dec. One way or another I am going to see TVAL and anything else I can manage, it's all Jamo's fault! ;)
Cheers,
Lance