Author Topic: Question about Fokker D.VIIF 460/18  (Read 1030 times)

Offline hwells

Question about Fokker D.VIIF 460/18
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »
Hi all. I am working on the Wingnut Wings D.VIIF kit. I'm going with the markings of Jasta 11 Eric Just's mount. On page 21 of the instruction booklet is a photo of it showing the re-inforcing rib tapes. It also shows what appears to be a repair. It looks like there is a new rib tape and possibly a large patch covering part of the port wing cross. The photo is credited to Greg Van Wyngarden, which according to the front of the instruction booklet, is listed with the Osprey Fokker D.VII aces books. Since I don't have those books, does anyone here have any information on this particular photo?

Thanks

Henry

Offline hwells

Re: Question about Fokker D.VIIF 460/18
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
Here's a link to the instruction page from the WNW website.
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3088&cat=4#

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
Henry,
    There is a photo of Just in front of DVII F 460/18 on pg. 20 of the Osprey DVII Aces Vol ! book however it doesn't show the wing area and the photo is in fact credited to Alex Imrie. I'm afraid that's the only info I could find.
Cheers,
Lance  :(

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »
Henry.

This was my take on the area after studying the photos available. I took a decision to build mine as follows.

Assuming
1/ the centre expanse of fabric and ribtapes were replaced upto the rib before the cross, possibly due to a catastrophic loss as is known to have happened to more than a few early DVII's. This section of fabric is noticeably darker.
2/ The area with the cross arm between the ribs where the cross arm should be has been loose causing the paint to flake and restretching to join to the new fabric.

That was my interpretation, I thought like you of a patch but the big repair would have covered it unless it was done during refitting of the wing.

shows my take on this area. 
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline hwells

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:22 PM »
Thanks Guys! I didn't know the photo was credited to someone else, I was just going off what was in the instructions. Thanks for the pic of yours Kornbeef. I didn't think of using a newer looking fabric section. I may be able to darken up the outer wing sections to represent this. Now then, do you think the other side would show the same effect to the cross as well?

Thanks

Henry

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
I did mine similar both sides, simply because it's symmetrical, I had no evidence either way though.

Offline hwells

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »
Ok, kind of what I was thinking, thanks Kornbeef! I didn't seal the lozenge decal before I put down the cross, so I probably can't replicate the chipping paint without damaging the lozenge decal underneath. I'll give it a shot, and see what happens. Pics to follow.

BTW, KB, what did you use for the Jasta 11 red? I used Humbrol 20, which turned out a dark crimson.

Thanks

Henry

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:46:35 AM »
I used Citadel Mephiston Red.

Ref the decals try scoring through on the rib line and wetting them, use a little decal softener if you have it then after they've soaked try lifting the edge with a blade, if it comes up keep wetting under and gradually lift the decal portion off, once it starts it will likely come easy.

Keith

Offline hwells

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 03:29:35 AM »
Thanks Keith I'll try that.

Henry

Offline hwells

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:14:12 AM »
Well, it didn't turn out as planned. I almost ruined the the cross and the lozenge decals. So what I may do is try the patch idea, although Keith I believe you had the correct idea and approach to replicating what is in the photo. I'll chalk this one up to not researching enough LOL!

Henry