Author Topic: Propeller Blueprints  (Read 916 times)

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Propeller Blueprints
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Does anybody have access to, or know where to find original blueprints or plans for WWI propellers? Even a faithful modern CAD or Sketchup drawing would be great. For some reason I've got it in my head that it would be a really cool immersive experience to carve my own 1:1 propeller using the tools and materials available at the time. You know, using that extreme surplus of free time I have.  :o I'm not looking to start a business, or weasel in on Doug Craner's gig. Really just for private use. Anywhere you can point me would be appreciated.

p.s. Any country, manufacturer, and shape would be great, but extra points if someone could come up with the 2.6 m club that the Gnome was swinging off the front of a Camel.

Thanks very much.

Lindsay

Offline David

Re: Propeller Blueprints
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
Hi Lindsay,

I've got information relating to various propellers, which have been obtained from various sources.  There is a website which has drawings for quite a few propellers, but I can't remember the URL right now.  I have at least one British factory propeller drawing, but it might be a bit too large to get a copy to you, unless I had it copied by a plan printer and posted it to you.  The best way would be to try to find the website.  I should be able to find the URL for it, but it could take me a while so please feel free to send a reminder at any time!

I made a 1:8 scale Axial propeller for a Hasegawa Fokker triplane, but it was a lot of work!  I intend to build a variety of different types of propellers, both full sized and in various scales.  The first one is always very difficult, due to the fact that most of the time is taken to construct the patterns, jigs and formers.  Once this is achieved it is possible to construct a propeller relatively quickly.

Regards,

David.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Lindsay, join the forum here and ask your question; I'm pretty sure you'll get something to chew on:

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
Lindsay,
   Take a look on the Albatros Publications Website. I believe their Data File #10 "WWI British Aeroplane Propellers" is still available. It's a "Mini" datafile however it's fascinating and has some great photos and plans of the manufacturing process. If you can't find a copy let me know; I'll photocopy or PDF it to you (assuming that's not violating Ray's copyrights!)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:49:16 PM »
Those are some great leads. Thanks very much, gents!

Lindsay

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:29:16 AM »

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:58:08 AM »
The hyperlink to the site posted by Rizzo is the one I had in mind.  I probably should have also mentioned the Wooden Propeller Forum, as Bo did.  It is an excellent site, with some very helpful and knowledgeable members.  I even posted a build log on there of a 1:8 scale Axial propeller for a Hasegawa Fokker triplane but the reason I didn't mention it is that they don't have any technical drawings posted on the site.  There are, however some members who probably have drawings which you might be able to obtain by arrangement.

Regards,

David.

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:56 PM »
Excellent! Thanks very much, guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

Much appreciated,

Lindsay