Author Topic: RPM 1/35 Ford Model T's  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

RPM 1/35 Ford Model T's
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »
G'day. 

These came up for sale on Aussie Modeller International.  I'd never heard of the brand and the WW1 subject matter was a bit of a surprise.  I grabbed them both, thinking that someone here may be interested in them for a diorama.  They're about 9% smaller than they would be if they were 1/32 scale, to match the usual larger aircraft scale.  But perhaps they'll still be useful.  I bought them in case someone from the site wanted them, but I may keep them to have a play with.

These are obviously short-run kits.  There's a lot of flash on the parts and detail is variable- strong on some pieces, soft on others.  The Ford name on the radiator and frame isn't bad, for example, while the vents on the bonnet sides are depicted by heavy wedges.  The Vickers that comes with the MMGS is quite poor, for example, not up to Roden or Hobbycraft standards.  The cab is also fairly bare, with no instrument dials but with separate pedals.  There's also a lot of ejector pin marks, though mostly they're on the inside or bottom of the pieces, where they'll be hard to see.  Overall, though, I think they'd make a good basis for reasonable model.

There's two identical sprues that contain wheels and other basic vehicle pieces.

There's one sprue with the specific parts for each vehicle.  This is the sprue for the ute (light truck).

The instructions are fairly rudimentary and are printed on the back of the box.

I don't know how useful these will be for a diorama, but if you've been looking for some WWI General Service vehicles, they may do the trick.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Dal Gavan

Re: RPM 1/35 Ford Model T's
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:28:35 PM »
Jeez, that was quick, RB.  Mate, they cost me $28AUD ($10 per kit and $8 postage).  I don't know how much it would cost to get one/both of them across the ditch, but I doubt there'd be much change from a twenty.  Besides, I'm eying off that MMGS myself- I have a sandy-hatted mate in Perth that would get a laugh if I did it up in ASDPC as a "Nary Mk II SOV (Budget Cut Expedient)".

I'll get you a quote tomorrow, when the PO's open, if you're that interested?

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
No wukkers, mate.  I'll get a price for one/both tomorrow.

Modelling rut?  Have a look around for the Historex field forge, mate.  It's brilliant, but a bit long in the tooth.  Once you get past the flash and start building and painting, it's a lot of fun.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:31:28 AM »
Hannants have these in. but I remember finding them by accident, I'll have to have a nuther gander :-)
I did wonder at the quality as some of these kind of kits can be extremely hit and miss but they look workable and I'm sure the scale difference won't be dramatically different especially if placed behind a A/c Thanks for posting pics and your thoughts on them.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »
RB, it will cost you $24OZ for one kit and $49OZ for both (the two just tip over the 500g barrier).  As Keith pointed out, they're also available from Hannants at 9.16 Pommy quid ($18NZD) each (P&P not incl), which could be cheaper, if you combine them with other purchases.  Let me know what you want to do, mate.  PM sent, same text, as well. 

Keith, it is a bit of a lottery, buying unknown kits.  But for $14OZ each it's worth a look, ain't it? 

Cheers.

Dal.   

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »
I did wonder at the quality as some of these kind of kits can be extremely hit and miss

The box art would suggest "miss"  ;D

I bet those poor blokes in the SE5s trying to attack Der Kaiser's Zeppelin wish they had proper empennages... makes it a bit harder to aim...

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:37:17 AM »
I bet those poor blokes in the SE5s trying to attack Der Kaiser's Zeppelin wish they had proper empennages... makes it a bit harder to aim...

That's why they pay pil,ots big bucks, isn't it, Bo?  ;D

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
  Dal,
Am I ever looking forward to seeing what you can do with these kits. Even if they're only half as good as your forge they will be awesome. Outstanding work my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Zabu

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
I have the mmgs in 1/72 for me to try to make a hucks starter.

Anyway... there's a Ford T here:

Cheers

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »
Love the last pic - but SPCA? Jadar has these kits I believe.

Steve

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »
Im not sure what it is, but the bottom photo isn't a Ford T, or the bigger commercial chassis, the TT. I would say it is actually of European origin

I have the mmgs in 1/72 for me to try to make a hucks starter.

Anyway... there's a Ford T here:

Cheers