Author Topic: Albatros D.V versus D.Va  (Read 1312 times)

Offline MPi-KM

• What are you looking at?
Albatros D.V versus D.Va
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Are there any external differences between the two? The books I have aren't clear on that.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Albatros D.V versus D.Va
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »
Are there any external differences between the two? The books I have aren't clear on that.

Yes. The definitive difference is the aileron control. On the the D.V, the cables run directly up from the large pulley on the stick to the upper wing, the cables then route thru the upper wing. The pronounced fairing for the control horn is the giveaway.

The D.Va reverted to the D.III arrangement, where he cables ran through the lower wing, then up to the ailerons. In this case, the vertical cables from the lower wing to the aileron is the giveaway.

There are are other visual traits associated with one mark or the other, but they are not definitive. For instance, some D.Vs (early) had a headrest. Most D.Vas had a reinforcing strut on the the Vee strut to the lower wing. (Some D.Vs had this too) and so on.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
Ha! I was just about to chime in with, "I think it has something to do with the aileron controls, but I'm sure The Red Baron or Bo will be along shortly to sort it out." Speak of the (gentlemanly) devils and they appear!

Welcome to the forum, MPi-KM. this is the kind of help you can quickly grow accustomed to.

Lindsay

Offline MPi-KM

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies. :) Know of any websites the shows pictures of the difference in them?

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Go to WNW's website, check their historical photo sections for each type or  download the PDFs for the D.v & D.Va

http://wingnutwings.com/ww/modelkitsets

But beware theres then differences between Albatros & (OAW) produced aircraft

I fairly certain the D.Va came with the Merc 180au motor where the earlier D.V could come with a range from early 160 to 180au Mercs.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies. :) Know of any websites the shows pictures of the difference in them?

As Keith says, the WNW site is a treasure trove; they have selected some truly excellent period photos to illustrate the breed. James Fahey's ("Jamo") walkaround photos of modern TVAL replicas can be found elsewhere on this forum and are a spectacular reference. Going beyond websites, the two recent Albatros D.V/D.Va at War volumes from Windsock /Albatros productions are highly recommended as much of the commentary has to do with the evolution from D.V to D.Va, and they contain extensive and detailed drawings of both types.

Offline MPi-KM

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
Thanks again.I didn't know they had that on their site.

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
Hi,

I haven't seen the Windsock / Albatros production "Albatros D.V / D.Va at War" yet, but it sounds very interesting!  Accurate drawings of any Albatros are virtually impossible to find.

One very important detail which is often missed is the wing gap.  According to "Albatros Scouts Described" by Charles Schaedel, the gap is 1 and a half inches less on the D.Va than it is on the D.V.  Every model has a different gap, and to illustrate how different the gaps between models can be, the D.Va has a gap which is 7 and a half inches less than that of the D.I.  Albatros must have had a lot of problems with interference between the upper and lower wings, and tried reducing or increasing the gap with each model.  On a model it's not too noticeable but on larger models or full scale replicas it should be incorporated.

Regards,

David.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:24:16 PM by David »