Author Topic: WNW’s Gotha G.IV “Großvater des Himmels” (Grandfather of the Sky’s).  (Read 4682 times)

Offline martin

• Martins Scale Models

Right a little bit about my present build, the Wingnut Wings Gotha G.IV.

This build is somewhat special not least because the kit was a gift to me from a very good friend and fellow modeller. It is a kit I have admired for a long time and one I thought would be out of my reach in my own modelling ability.

However I decided to bite the bullet as they say and crack the box open. Inspired by several built G.IVs I had seen it was time to put some faith and confidence into the mix and hopefully make something of it that I could be proud of.

With that in mind I wanted to put heart and soul into the build along with all the aftermarket goodies that are available.

Upgrade sets I shall use-

HGW 132096 Super Detail Set.

Taurus D3203 Cockpit Selector Switches.

Taurus D3206 Valves Lifters Timing Gear for Mercedes D IV.

Pheon 32028 Decals for WNW Gotha.

Master AM32024 Parabellum LMG 14 Guns (X3).

Reference material I shall use will include the following-

Albatros Productions ‘Building the Wingnut Wings Gotha G .IV’ (Ray Rimell and Harry Woodman).

Albatros Productions Windsock Special ‘Gotha’.

Air Modellers Guide to Wingnut Wings Volume One.

Paints used will be from the following-

Tamiya acrylics.

Revell acrylics.

Mr Color metalizers.

Misterkit acrylics.

Windsor & Newton Oils.

This is very much a long term project that I would hope to complete within a 12 month period. This also hopefully allows me the time to complete two LSK Pilot figures from Cockpit Wings sculpted by the amazing Steve Warrilow.
These will be what I would call my first serious attempt at figures……..I may well need the men in white coats at some point during this project!!!!

Prior to starting this kit on June 11th this year I have only ever attempted one other aircraft build, that being the WNW Fokker E.II/E.III Early. That came to a halt as I have really struggled to get the swirl pattern right on the cowling so it’s presently boxed away!

So then that’s the story so far……thanks indeed for looking in, all constructive comments, help, tips, etc much appreciated as no doubt I shall be calling on you experienced hands for a great deal of help along the way.

Photos and progress up to date will follow this post once I have figured out the photo upload procedures, regards to all,

Martin.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:45:47 PM by martin »

Offline martin

• Martins Scale Models
As you can see im no genius when it comes to posting lol.....for some reason i have lines under all my text! If someone can tell me how to amend I will do so, thanks in advance,

Martin.

Offline Kreston

Good luck with your build and I look forward to watching it progress.
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
good luck with your build, sounds like fun.

As for the underlined text, somehow you inserted

Code: [Select]
[u]  and [/u] around those lines -- look for those characters and erase them :)

Offline Gisbod

That's a lot of goodies!  ;D
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline martin

• Martins Scale Models
So here are the first pics of my Gotha build. Started off with the cockpit build as per the WNW manual. The floor and pilots foot plate are a base coat of acrylics along with some pre shading. Followed up with coats of oils before sealing with satin clear. Then i have followed this with a light spraying of clear red.

The next photo below shows three of the bulkheads painted in the same way as the other wood work.

the photo below shows one of the cockpit sidewalls added (dry fitted) again painted the same way except the bomb rack which is in Tamiya satin black with weathering.

For the internal bracing im using EZ line and turnbuckles from Gaspatch. The photo below shows just the start of the work ahead.

Last photo for now is that of one of the bomb racks with bombs. Just a little scratch to add with a pulley system to do.

More photos to come, thanks for looking in,

Martin.

Offline martin

• Martins Scale Models
Started work on the spare magazine racks....painted just the same as all the other wood. Magazines have only received a coat of satin black at this stage, plenty more to do on the magazines yet.

The 3 magazine rack below.

Work starts on the pilots side console and instrument panel. A lot of work needed on this to get it ready for the Taurus update set which does improve the overall appearance.

New dials and controls added along with the Taurus bezels.

Final picture for today as this is now where I am at with the build.

More progress hopefully soon, thanks for looking in, regards,

Martin.

Offline Gisbod

Wow,

Great start Martin.. Looks cracking!

Guy

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Outstanding start, Martin!  Your wood grain is perfect.  Love the Taurus upgrades.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
An excellent start Martin, your wood grain is superb. I have this kit in my stash so I will be following your build very closely and taking notes.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline martin

• Martins Scale Models
Thanks all for the encouragement and kind comments, they are much appreciated.

I know this Gotha is one of the earlier WNW releases but it is still an utterly outstandingly well engineered kit.

It really is a tremendous amount of fun so far and I am loving every minute spent on it. The cockpit by the time its finished will be a build in its own right.

Im certainly taking lots of inspiration from other threads on the forum here, good to be amoung such knowledgeable and friendly folk ;-)

Matin.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Fantastic start, Martin! Your woodgrain treatment is a joy to behold.
I love the Taurus upgrade bits.  This is going to be a major, long term undertaking
as you mentioned, but as you have shown already, you are definately up to the
challenge!  Thanks for letting us come along on the ride.  Looking forward to
the next update.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

mike in calif

OH doggies, I'm going to like seeing this one come together!

Offline Gisbod

Ps I thought you were meant to be a newbie Martin?

You could publish those pictures as a 'how to' manual.. Really excellent - have you got any other models to show?

Guy

Offline Andi Little

Very good - I'm liking the opportunity to see how all the upgrades and "aftermarket" come together with the kit, and what a difference it makes: and how?
.......................I also have one of these in the stash, so will be paying particular attention.
KBO ............. Andi.