Author Topic: My old timer hangar  (Read 3979 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: My old timer hangar
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
Great works Ozkan.
I am very curious about the different markings of the early Turkish Airforce, I see at least 3 different types on your fantastic models.

Where can I get some information about that?

I am very interested by "minor" (allow me to say that, I can't find a better word) air forces during WW1 and the 20s.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
Simply beautiful models. I am hoping to see more from your workshop!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline OzkanT

• personal modeling page
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:16 AM »
Great works Ozkan.
I am very curious about the different markings of the early Turkish Airforce, I see at least 3 different types on your fantastic models.

Where can I get some information about that?

I am very interested by "minor" (allow me to say that, I can't find a better word) air forces during WW1 and the 20s.

Ciao

Antonio

Antonio here some information for you :

1912 – 1915

When the Ottoman Empire entered the war in October of 1914, it had less than a dozen military aircraft. These were identified by red rudders marked with a white crescent and five-point star, in the design of the Ottoman flag. The crescent was open to the rudder’s trailing edge on both sides. No fuselage markings were carried. One of these aircraft, a Deperdussin, is known to have carried the crescent-and-star marking on the underside of the wing.

Some of the early Ottoman aircraft, including L.V.G. B.Is and Bleriots, carried a red-white-red roundel on the underside of the starboard wing and the crescent-and-star on their rudders. This is most likely a pre-war marking scheme and was abandoned by mid-1915, the potential for confusion being obvious.

1915 – 1918

As Germany began to supply aircraft in substantial numbers, the Ottoman markings were changed to a black square surrounded by a thin white border. This was painted over the German crosses on wings, fuselages and rudders and matched the various cross styles in size and position.

Gotha seaplanes, some two dozen of which were supplied to the Ottoman Empire, retained the crescent-and-star markings throughout the war. These were carried at the wingtips on the upper and lower surfaces of both wings, and on the rudder. The design was mirrored from port to starboard wing, so that the crescent was always open to the wingtip and the star outboard.

After armistice Ottoman Air Force  disbanded and some aircrafts which were  flyable condition collected at center Anatolia for  Turkish War of Independence. New Turkish markings accepted as red square with white border and white star and crescent over red rudder. This system remained till 1972 some minor changes. However especially during the independence war  there were some "unorthodox" marking applications such as Turkish flags under lower wings on Pfalz DIII .
Medice, cura te ipsum ;)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »
Thanks Ozcan, this is a really interesting description.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 11:49:13 PM »
Some great builds Ozkan, lovely work.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 01:48:02 AM »
Great models -- neat to see the variety of Turkish markings, I really admire the clean presentation of your photos, too!

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 09:12:53 AM »
outstanding work and I echo everyone elses comments

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo