Author Topic: Burgess-Dunne Flying Wing  (Read 2703 times)

Offline phs Paddy

Burgess-Dunne Flying Wing
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »
For those of you not familiar with Fiddlers Green Paper Models I think you may find the link to their Burgess-Dunne Flying Wing post interesting.

Quote: “A lovely two man amphibious swept wing biplane flying wing, built in 1914 and flew well indeed. This is a model of D.8 that was created in Canada.”

I happen to be on their mailing list and like to read their blurbs concerning early and WWI stuff.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Burgess-Dunne-FlyingWing.html

You may want to check out their home page too as there are links to a Dr.1, Fokker DVII., and more. There is even a link to an article on Whitehead’s Flyer that any who are no acquainted with should find an interesting read. All of these usually have some historical photos and background history that make for an interesting read..

Fun stuff for kickback time. Could this possibly stimulate a scratch build.  ;D

Paddy  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:52:30 PM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Burgess-Dunne Flying Wing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:29:37 AM »
   Paddy,
Now you've gone and started something my old friend . Guess who'll be searching through his old Fine Scale Modeler magazines now. The Burgess-Dunne Flying Wing would be an excellent scratch build project. She one of the neatest designs I'll seen and sufficiently odd ball enough to really catch my eye. Many thanks for sharing this one with us.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:05:51 AM »
Your welcome Gregory. Wouldn't that be something.  ;D

Paddy :)
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
Well be seeing the build log begin shortly I take it Gregory?  ;D ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »
  Andrew,
You most likely will see a build thread at some point , but not anytime soon. This one has really caught my eye but with a couple of on going projects and upcoming group builds I just don't have enough time at the moment. But I have begun the process of collecting data for the B-D Flying Wing.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:41:44 AM »
  Anybody have an idea what issues of Fine Scale Modeler the Burgess-Dunne appeared in? I sure hope it's a full build article and not in the galleries. Still searching from here too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
Excellent choice for a scratch build Gregory, it is a very unique aircraft, actually, this topic has highlighted a plane a I had never seen before, thanks Paddy.

I will be keepng an eye open for your build to start Gregory, hopefully it won't be too long in the future, what scale would you be building in?

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:52:50 AM »
  Des,
It may be awhile yet as I've got a SPAD A2 to scratch build first. Right now it looks like the Burgess- Dunne will be the follow up project ,if I can come up with enough information to build her.Failing the B-D project I'm in the process of gathering information for a large sized SPAD too. What ever follows the SPAD A2 will be 1/32 scale as well.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:30:45 PM »
i actually thought one of those paper models could be the basis for a scratch build. there are a few craft in 1/32 that you can download free and theoretically make the parts from plastic sheet/strip and rod and glue it together in a more traditional woodman style. just use the paper parts to make patterns. it was a thought i had a while back. havent done it yet though it seems possible. i think i remember a 1/32 aviatik berg paper model specifically that i thought i could transfer those paper parts/plans to 5 thou card.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »
i have some pretty good plans for the spad xi/a2 which is a 2 seater spad that looks like a spad12 with 2 seats. i can make you some copies if you need gregory. they are pretty detailed. or are you talking about the spad a2/a4?

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »
I often thought that myself. The paper models are pretty accurate so using them as templates could be handy. Some are oddball scales though arent they?

Steve

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 03:49:33 AM »
Yes, some are "oddball" scales (like a 1/33 Morane-Saulnier A1), but access to 1/1 scale dimensions, little fiddling with a calculator & a copier should get one pretty close to "standard" scales. The Burgess-Dunne looks like it might be ammenable to even MY limited scratchbuilding skills ;)
Thanks for posting!

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »
  Andrew,
You most likely will see a build thread at some point , but not anytime soon. This one has really caught my eye but with a couple of on going projects and upcoming group builds I just don't have enough time at the moment. But I have begun the process of collecting data for the B-D Flying Wing.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

When it begins I'll be watching!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
The Tabloid has always intrigued....