Author Topic: Caudron G3 1:32 scratch built  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Caudron G3 1:32 scratch built
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »
It has taken a bit of time but my scratch built 1:32 scale Caudron G3 is now finished. I completed all the control rigging last night, there are double control wires for the elevator warping control and single wires for the rudders. This has been a very enjoyable build and I must add a big thank you to Steven Robson for his immaculate spoked wheels and Doug Craner for his amazing hand made laminated wood propeller, both these products are highly recommended.

A full build log can be found on my website  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page42.html

Des.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:45:55 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Caudron G3 1:32 scratch built
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »
Breathtaking, is the first word that comes to mind, Des!  Followed by, "How did I miss the end of the build thread?"  I'll have to go back and see what I missed!  Whatever the case, she is absolutely stunning.  This is art at it's finest.  Congratulation on another astonishing masterpiece, mate!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
Congratulations, Des! I can just imagine you're beaming with pride at this one. Beautiful work.

Lindsay

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
Dammit Des, would you please stop raising the bar every time? Each build is better than the last and the rest of us are about 5 builds behind at a minimum! Absolutely gorgeous, very well done indeed!

Ian

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »
World class, Des!

What next?

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Zabu

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »
I had the pleasure of following this world class build.
The Caudron couldn't be any better imho, and it's something that should make you quite proud.

For me... it's a big smile from ear to ear when i'm looking to those pics. I see beauty, perfection... and a very skilled modeler!

Thank you for sharing such a nice build.

Cheers

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »
Sensational - followed it all the way through..."slack jawed".

Not sure whether I find this inspirational or inhibiting, at best I could only hope to hang on to your coat tails.

Brilliant work.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
Des,
I don't know if a Mere Mortal Modeler should even be commenting ! Absolutely Stunning from start to finish!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »
Hi Des

Your completed Caudron G3 is just the most magnificent aircraft.  She is beautiful!

I bet you’re tickled pink Des.  You should be very proud of this one.  The complexity of the rigging is just mind boggling.
This has been a very exciting scratch build to watch.  And thank you for your very kind words about my wheels.  What a great honour for me that you chose to land the Caudron with spoked wheels.  I agree, Doug Craner’s wooden propellers are top quality.

I take my hat off to you and thank you very much for sharing this most amazing scratch build.

Best Regards, and Vladimir has said it before..

Viva your hands!
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Words fail me Des..

Just incredible

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline IvotB

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
It was a joy to follow your build log, just as it is when viewing the pictures of the completed model. It is an excellent achievement and as said before I admire scratchbuilds.

I just recently discovered that there have been 4 Caudrons serving with the LVA between 1918 and 1920 (ordered in 1915, but delivered 3 years later because......)
But they were Caudron G.IV. Looks similar, especially the wing lay out, but with a different fuselage and 4 rudders in stead of 2.  Edit: and it is a twin engine plane mmmmmmmmm.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:47:48 AM by IvotB »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
It's hard to expand upon what's already been said, Des, but this has to be the best aircraft model I've ever seen.  It is perfection, and so very well captures the essence of the Caudron.  You could easily have several national air and space museums calling for loan privileges for this one!  It just doesn't get any better. ;D  Thanks for sharing this beauty and your techniques with us.  You make us all better modelers, and we are in your debt.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Jacek

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 11:33:16 PM »
Only one word Beautiful!

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:31 PM »
I'm lost for words, Des.  The Caudron is absolutely magnificent!
Thank you for giving us the benefit of your talents.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 05:13:50 AM »
Steven Robson and Doug Craner couldn't ask for a better advertisement for their products than your Caudron. It's truly magnificent!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.