Author Topic: Alclad question  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Alclad question
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »
Hi guys, can anyone tell me whether you can use Micro-set/sel
on a surface coated with Alclad II?  If so, should you put a coat(s) of
Future on to protect it first?  Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Zabu

Re: Alclad question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
Hi Ernie.

You shouldn't have any problems on using Micro set over Alclad, but IMHO you should go with a nice coat of future before anything else.

Cheers

Offline IvotB

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »
I would never use anything on a Alclad surface. Why should you? It has the intented finish. But only when using decals it is ok to use microsol and set, because Alclad when dry is quite a hard surface. To seal your decals then perhaps you could use future.

regards,
Ivo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
   Ernie,
I'll chime in with Ivo on not really needing to use Microsol or Microset on an Alclad finished surface. This would assume your surface prep and finish is as near to faultless as possible. I have however resorted to using both Microsol and the setting solution on thickish decals without any problems. I seal the finish and the decals with future. Hope this helps my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:36:37 PM »
Hello Ernie,

I went through a spell of trial and error with Alclad - fabulous product, but not without it's pitfalls to the unwary!

The prime lesson I learnt is that there are basically 2 types - high shine and 'normal'. The high shine are obvious ones like chrome but also some less obvious like airframe aluminium - I think you can check on their website which is which - despite what people say - the high shine are VERY delicate and you can't mask over or you'll just pull the paint off (which I discovered to my cost right at the end of a nice Mustang build  :o). The base for the high shine has to be flawless - preferably with gloss black undercoat (they sell their own black primer). With the non high shine this is not so critical. Polishing cloths are very useful - you can get some beautiful effects - but be very gentle.

Sealing in the Alclad is an option -but really defeats the object - as it takes all the metallic lustre away from the finish - applying decals then produces a problem, as they are difficult to blend in and just look like 'stickers'. The ideal solution would be to paint the markings on - but you can't mask! I haven't had any problems using Micro Sol or Set.

So in summary - brilliant product, but delicate - high shine much trickier - I'd spend a lot of time practicing first before putting on your latest pride & joy..

Cheers

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
Ps..

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »
Thanks Zabu, Ivo, Gregory & Guy.  Your answers will help
a lot.  Thanks for the advice! :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
in my experience micro sol disolves future so if you intend to protect an alclad or another delicate finish use another clear coat, preferably laquer like the model master metallizer clear.