Author Topic: What time is it?  (Read 997 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
What time is it?
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »
Gentlemen, we are now into the 99th anniversary
of the beginnings of the Great War, so raise a glass
and give a thought to all those who answered their
country's call.  Lest we forget.

Cheers,
Ernie
The new old guy, take two...

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: What time is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:22:09 AM »
Each and everyday that breath comes to me I will remember them - Always!

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

mike in calif

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »
Been on my mind a bit recently as well. The War to end all wars.

Offline simon 64

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:10:28 AM »
hard to forget for me as well.My brother Found out last year we have a relative on the Menin gate who was killed in 1915, going to go over on the 100th anniversery as far as we can find out we will be the first family to visit.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
This is a special time of remembrance.  I had a great uncle, Carl Schmidt, who served in the American Expeditionary Forces in France, 35th Engineers, Co. K, 4th Battalion, in 1918.  When they landed in France they were bivouwaced in a rain-soaked field for days, and he developed pnuemonia and was sent to a field hospital.  When visiting officers learned that he had worked as a welder at Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, he was reassigned to a special detachment of engineers who worked the train shops that kept men and materiel moving by train to the front.  He made it home and I knew him growing up as a kid in the 60s and early 70s, and once interviewed him about his war experiences for a high school history project.  He passed in 1975.

I have been thinking of him often as the centennial approaches, and recently found a treasure trove of old pictures and postcards from France that my grandmother (his sister) kept.  They are very special.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »
I sincerely hope the event is suitably commemorated. In the USA, at least during my lifetime, World War One has never received much attention from the general public. 

Offline Zabu

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
I sincerely hope the event is suitably commemorated. In the USA, at least during my lifetime, World War One has never received much attention from the general public.

I guess that it's just not in the USA.

Yesterday a was watching a documentary about WW2 related with stolen works of art from the reich... and i was thinking to myself "So many docs to see from WW2 period and almost nothing it's covered from WW1".

Anyway, one more year to the WW1 centenary and already (or almost) 100 years since the first worlds history loop made made by Nikolaechev Nesterov in 9 September while flying a Nieuport 4. Got arrested for 10 days for getting governement property at risk and died a few years later after emptying his guns without sucess against a foe and ramming it as a last resource.

Brave young fellows, not to be forgotten.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
Zabu, I fear that the great war is fading away in the mists of time...
at least in the general public's minds.  Probably too long ago and no
veterans left any more in this "what's hot now" age.  Thank goodness
there are types like us that keep the memory alive. At least that's how I feel.
 Thanks for caring. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...