Author Topic: WNW Fokker DVII  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Kreston

WNW Fokker DVII
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:33:50 AM »
This is my first crack at a WNW kit.  Spent several hours applying the Aviattic lozenge decals.  Having never applied a set of decals this large, I followed the Aviattic suggestion of cutting the decal into smaller, more workable sections.  I used a rotary cutter and a staight edge and cut just along the ribbing.  They are applied over a light grey primer.  I found the decals easy to work with and used some Solvaset to get them to really hug down over the details.  Here are the results.

I would like to do a bit of weathering with oils.  I am wondering if I should seal the wings first?  Dullcote or Satin clear?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Kreston
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: WNW Fokker DVII
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:00 AM »
I'll be building a captured D.VII in Canadian markings in the very near future when Rowan releases the decal sheet, so this posting of yours is very timely. It's good to see the Aviattic decals in use, along with the description of how you employed them. I'm really impressed with how they look.

I always clear coat with Dullcote before weathering with oils or enamels. Some prefer to use a satin coat so it's really just a matter of preference. The main thing is to always seal the decals before weathering them.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:16:47 AM »
Nice work on those decals!It is nice to know that a strong setting solution had no ill affects!  I really like the colors Aviattic have produced! I am looking forward to some of the non kit specific releases!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave Peschke

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 05:53:40 AM »
Looking good Kreston. I like.  to shoot mine with testors gloss coat, it seems to really seal down the decals. Once that is done I will follow up with either a 50/50 mix of gloss and dullcoat or straight dullcoat depending on the look i want. The more weatherd the duller he finish. The lacquer finish will withstand any oils you put over them, if you are using the oils to weather the plane then you will want to shoot it one more time with dullcote. If you are using the oils for highlighting and shadowing then use the 50/50 mix.
  Dave Peschke

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
Good start Kreston.  The Aviattic decals really look good! It will be
interesting to follow your build. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best Regards,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Kreston

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »
Thanks for all of the good advice and the comments.  I think I know how I will proceed.  I am building this to represent Josef Jacobs' Fokker DVII 365/18.  In the opinion of the late Dan San Abbott...

"Ltn. Josef Jacobs Fok.D.VII 365/18 was a Fokker built D.VII, the aircraft was covered with four color printed fabric, and strips of the printed matching fabric were used for rib and edge tapeing, dark pattern on the top surfaces and the light pattern on the under surfaces.

The fuselage, tailplane, forward half fin, axle wing, wheel covers, landing gear and cabane struts were painted black.
The fuselage interior metal parts and interplane struts were painted pale greyish green. In the interior fabric surfaces would be the reversed image of the lightened printed four color fabric."

It is assumed that the wings were painted black at a later date.  I had Doug Baumann make me a set of the decals to match the Fokker's numbers along with the God of the North Wind design for the fuselage.  I am using my best guess as to the style of crosses on the wings and am using those from the "C" option in the WNW kit.  I have only seen Jacobs' DVII modeled in all black and I think this will look cool!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:53:03 PM by Kreston »
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden