Author Topic: And...a few of mine  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Maxfinn

• MaxModels
And...a few of mine
« on: May 03, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
Here's several of mine, many seen before, but as it's a new venue, what the heck....

The spectacular WnW Se5a, a commission build for a guy who has a collection of memorabilia of the pilot

The Roden DH2, a bit of work, but a good result at the end

The Eduard Nie 11, a great kit

A couple of new tool Revell Dr 1's.  These kits are a blast to build and with Rowan's decals, there are lots of options!

Eduard's Albatros Dva

A Roden DVII

Eduard's Pfalz DIIIa.  I know the full lozenge wing is controversial, but it sure looks good!

The next couple should both be WnW projects.  I've got a RNAS Pup about 75% done, and an early Fee that I'm about to close up the nacelle on.

Comments including constructive criticism are always welcome.  Thanks for looking.

Mike
Mike Moore
I just love building models!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: And...a few of mine
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:12 AM »
Mike,
 Some truly stunning build you got there.
Thanks for sharing them.

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »
Beautiful work Mike. A joy to view.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:25:08 AM »
Stunning models Mike, looking forwards to your next ones :)

You guys keep raising the bar here, inspirational stuff...

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
Superb workmanship - I especially like the figures used in the dioramas.

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:30:27 AM »
Mike,
   Some really spectacular builds, I particularly like the way you display them. As a matter of curiousity, who was the pilot of the SE5a? I'm awaiting a bit of memorabilia to go with my WNW Pup done in "Nick" Carter's colours (Baby Mine) Should have it in the next 4-6 weeks. One of his Flying Helmets, gift from a good friend who's Dad knew Nick very well.
   Again, compliments on the beautiful work.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
I'm particularly impressed with your rib shading technique on the DH2 and Nieuport 11.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »
Mike, it's a real treat to see these again, especially all together.  Quite an impact.  Although the SE5a and the DH2 are truly brilliant, I'm most fond of the Bebe and the D.Va.  Very, very nice.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
Great builds in various scales!!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
   Mike,
Outstanding collection my friend. All the finest examples of high craftsmanship and skills.I've seen some of your projects before but I'll be darned if I can remember where or when. I hope to more soon and thanks for sharing them with us.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Maxfinn

• MaxModels
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »
Thanks guys.  Coming from this group, all the kind words really carry some weight!

Lance, the pilot was a guy named George "Tommy" Thompson.  The gentleman who commissioned the model has a substantial collection of Tommy's belongings, including uniforms, papers, letters and the like.  A really cool part of the story is that when I was about 1/2 way through the build, the guy found out that Tommy's son lives about an hour and a half away from him.  When I heard about that, I'd really hoped to be able to make the trip from Chattanooga to Northern Virginia to deliver the model and show it to Tommy's son.  Unfortunately scheduling prevented that, but I understand that the son was incredibly happy to see a model of the plane that, as close as can be determined, is the airplane his father had been shot down flying.  BTW, Tommy survived the crash and POW camp and went on to live a long, happy life post war.  It was the first time I've built an model that forged such a personal connection, and I have to say that while I was very sorry to box it up and send it to it's owner, it truly felt special knowing the back ground behind it, and that it would be seen by the son of the pilot.

Mike
Mike Moore
I just love building models!

Offline keith_christie

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

You have some stunning work there, your bases and figures really set the models off nicely, very well thought out and put together.

Best Regards

Keith

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
Outstanding Mike, thanks for sharing.
Great story re the SE5a!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
Mike,
    Neat story and great experience with the SE5a connections. I built an Airfix Lockheed Hudson for a guy I flew with with years ago. He'd flown it in WWII as a 19 year old Crew Captain in Coastal Command chasing U-boats around the Mediterranian and Atlantic, real character and hell of a real man. As for Carter, my friend (who is now 70 himself) remembers his Dad, (an Air Vice Marshal in the RCAF) Bishop, Collishaw, and Carter all drinking Scotch and converting Cuban cigars into air pollution in his home in Vancouver during a visit by Bishop in the late 1940's. That's just short of 150 aerial victories in one room, what an experience!
   Really enjoyed your story and your work. 8)
Cheers,
Lance