Author Topic: Now this is a ride  (Read 1310 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Now this is a ride
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »
The  apron tower here at YYZ is swaying in winds gusting to 58. A pen just rolled off the desk and the 5 metric ton counterbalance over us is creaking on its chains.......this is going to be a long shift......Steve

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Re: Now this is a ride
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:55:15 AM »
That is...impressive. 58 knots? If so, ho-lee s$!& balls! Course that's a cool morning breeze out here on the prairies, but for you Upper Canadians, that's a state of emergency!

Seriously, those be some serious gusts! Must be crazy watching the heavies cross-wind in that!

Have a good shift,

LT

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
Lean into the wind Steve. ;) I just saw the news reports and sent Chris and Gary (Petawawa) a quick "hope all's well". And I thought we had it bad here; wet, clouds of very hungry mosquitos, and no end in sight. I don't envy anyone in the aviation industry in Ontario tonight. What a strange weather year, and everywhere judging by this Forum's reports.
Stay Safe!
Lance

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »
Here's hoping those chains are good and strong ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 04:43:11 AM »
Is it safe to come out of the root cellar yet?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
My shift ended at 2230 and I was actually allowed to leave - the next shift were at it all night with inbounds - normally a few tows and late charter arrivals but the Peoples Airline didnt have enough ground staff. A gate would open up an a/c would taxi up to it and stop short by 50 ft - and wait for 15-20 minutes to be waved on - and thats after waiting for the gate to open up for an hour.......another night in paradise....

Steve

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
What are the max safe winds to land in for something like a 737 or an A300?  Is 58 knots too much for something like a CRJ?

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
For approx 15-20 minutes there were no arrivals or departures then we went to a straight 23 op (east west runway at the north end of the field) I only registered on the gusting to 58 on the south end once then was too busy to check how long that lasted - then the intense rain started. As far as what types max landing headwinds/gusting are I would have to check on. RJ's etc would have fun but heavy's might be ok. A300's dont come in here anymore but we have the rest of them including the  380 and the full mix of Boeing's, EMB's etc

Steve

Offline mc65

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:47:43 AM »
mmmmmh...
58 it's a number!  :o

here in OLB, sardinia, wich is nicknamed "the wind factory" is rarely exceeded the value of 45 kts... but obviously the relevant factor is when it's at 90° with the runway, it's gusting, and/or it's raining..
being straight aligned and tense it's fun! ;)

the most of the liners have a xwind limitation around the 30 kts, being all engines operating, and the runway dry with a good braking action... but each lady have his behaviour. after some airbus, I'm pretty happy to have come back to the dear old mad dog... ;D ;D ;D

and yes, this is a strange year also here: I dismissed the winter blankets just few weeks ago, and now it's raining every day!

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
Cool, thanks Steve. I know there's YouTube videos of crosswind landings somewhere in SE Asia, but it would be something else altogether to see an A380 crabbing in on final approach.

LT

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 07:54:36 AM »

the most of the liners have a xwind limitation around the 30 kts, being all engines operating, and the runway dry with a good braking action... but each lady have his behaviour. after some airbus, I'm pretty happy to have come back to the dear old mad dog... ;D ;D ;D

That's interesting, Paolo. Haven't heard of what has the nickname "old mad dog". What's that one?

Lindsay

Offline mc65

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:42 AM »
oh, "old" it's an addition of mine...
the famous nick is only Mad Dog, to indicate the MD80. here a link. http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/md-80-90/index.page?

we currently fly the -82, being the last company in italy (with few else in europe) to use them.

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »
Right! MD-80. Thanks, Paolo.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »
Paolo - About 10 days ago an MD83 came and went to the north end ramp. We all said "Hey look at that an MD80" like it was a rare animal - which it is around YYZ now - they used to be one of the most common birds in-AAL, DAL, NWA but then so were 47's - now its a couple of freighters from KAL and CPA.

Steve