Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 380319 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #810 on: November 09, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »
   Did I see that at Comex, Kingsway last week Terri?
Tell me it's horrible and I won't regret not grabbing it........ ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #811 on: November 09, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »
    Almost falls into the same category as the Wingnut "Harry Tate" I dragged my feet on, Bo. Will I never learn!?!? ("Doh"!):-\ :( Next On-Line Shopping Trip I suppose.......)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #812 on: November 10, 2014, 01:09:03 AM »
Yes it is Lance , I just went in to order Eduards new SSW and pick up some Tamiya Lacquer thinner and ended up walking out with it . I'm surprised that you didn't grab it .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #813 on: November 10, 2014, 01:47:42 AM »
Yes it is Lance , I just went in to order Eduards new SSW and pick up some Tamiya Lacquer thinner and ended up walking out with it . I'm surprised that you didn't grab it .

Terri

So am I! I only get there every few months, so I`ll have to get smarter! I only noticed it as I was leaving, and I was already running late. Do you also shop at the competition at the South Common, I find their paints and supplies much better. On the other hand Comex seems to be the only place in Alberta with Mr. Metal Colour, which is like gold to my bench!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #814 on: November 10, 2014, 05:15:39 AM »
   Just idle curiosity Squiffy; what came first, the Polish Plum Brandy or the Staaken?? A solid argument could be made for either, that's a very challenging Build! :o ???
Cheers,
Lance

I was umming and aahing over it but the plum brandy swung it. I'm sure the chap with the brandy and the stand owner were in league. The more we're given to drink, the more we spend!  ;D

It does look like it will be a very challenging build - so far I've worked out that there will be at least 400 holes to drill for the rigging alone and then every inch of it needs to be covered with lozenge decal.  :o

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #815 on: November 10, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
Just arrived in my mailbox:

Very reasonably priced from Book Depository

http://www.bookdepository.com/Deutsche-Flugzeuge-im-Ersten-Weltkrieg-Jrg-Mckler/9783613036055

Author Jörg Mücker was editor for the “Flier Revue Extra" and is an advisor for the Air Force museum of the German Federal Armed Forces in Berlin Gatow.

Hardback, 224 pages, text in German but lots of great photographs many of which are new, and superbly printed

Highly recommended!
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #816 on: November 12, 2014, 01:29:19 AM »
Nice find James !

Yesterday Aviattic's decal arrived for the GB  ;D

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #817 on: November 12, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
I came back from Telford with as many goodies as the cabin suitcase would permit.

I paid £15 for the Eduard SSW D.III and will build it though I have to express some disappointment with the heavy-handed wing rib detail and engine.  The Blue Max Sopwith Dolphin came courtesy of Rowan and Sabine at Pheon and is it ever possible to visit a Gaspatch stand and not buy something!

IMG_5041 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Gorgeous, gorgeous decals, as ever, from Pheon. All were new at Telford. Rowan even gave me a couple of small etched sets he’s been working on

IMG_5040 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Richard, Amanda and Harry at AVIATTIC had more incredible things, which I’ll report on elsewhere, later today, but I can’t resist trying their latest sets of linen finishes. Of the four below, the two Khaki (one on white and one on clear decal paper) were new to me. Apologies for the glare in the photo.

IMG_5037 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Books now. There is, of course, an Albatros DV in the stash and the new Osprey goes a little way to filling an important gap. The book in the middle is one I have been after for ages, but the second hand prices are exhorbitant.  I paid £10 for this 1962 book which was, unfortunately, the last in what promised to be a magnificent series.

IMG_5042 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

More second hand books.  You’ll see that at £5 each they were bargains. More so when the seller was offering 3 books for £10

IMG_5043 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Off focus now, but still bought at Telford (the last being from a bookshop in the town centre) are the following books. I really like heavily illustrated books on warship camouflage. Those without access to British television may not know of the Peaky Blinders, but it has been widely acclaimed as the best British original drama in many years, with superb writing, acting, cinematography and music.  The bonus for me is that it’s set in the marvellous city of my birth and alongside the very suburb I grew up in. So, please indulge me!

IMG_5045 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Best wishes
Nigel
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:58:27 AM by Nigel Jackson »

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #818 on: November 13, 2014, 01:13:31 AM »
Some people have all the luck  :).

Offline radio

« Reply #819 on: November 14, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
Yesterday came from Brad the Eduard Pup and Morane-Saulnier Type L .
From Koster the Siemens-Schuckert D IV, decal Hannover CL-III, Flare rack, Wurfgranate rack and Parabellum.
and Aircraft aces Fokker DR.1
Martin

WarrenD

« Reply #820 on: November 14, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Excellent haul on the book front there Nigel. (I grew up in Birmingham, Ala., does that count?  ;) ;) ;) ::)  )

We are bibliophiles here at our house. For years I wanted Imrie's book on the Fokker Triplane, but everyone always wanted collectors prices for one. The other day I found one relatively cheap, so I ordered it.

Warren

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #821 on: November 14, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
Very nice hull indeed !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #822 on: November 14, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »
Warren, with you growing up in Birmingham Ala. that must make us sort of distant cousins!

As for the Alex Imrie book you mention, I bought a second hand copy a few years ago and love it. Published in 1992, it doesn't have the colour profiles we almost seem to expect now, but the photographic coverage and informed captions are great. Amazingly, a month or so ago, when Ena and I had just got off a plane and were waiting for the shuttle to get to the terminal building and I was looking through the book, a woman came over to us and commented on it. It turned out that she was related to the author Alex Revell who had been close to Alex Imrie and that she had known him too. 

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #823 on: November 14, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »
That is some shopping trip, Nigel!  Talk about a
kid in a candy shop!  Good for you, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #824 on: November 14, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »
Well in truth Ernie, over the year I've been putting money into a special Telford-shaped pot. Taking all those photos was also not entirely altruistic. It stopped me from scouring the trade stands and finding other things to buy.

Best wishes
Nigel