Author Topic: 1/48 stripdown resin kits  (Read 1320 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

1/48 stripdown resin kits
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:15:33 AM »
i was thinking when i get an average resin kit that alot of details are missing and usually need to be scratch built. many times the sm detail parts provided are wrong or improperly molded. alot of guys end up sanding out molded on detail and building their own cockpit and sourcing guns, engines and such from elsewhere anyway. my question is what would be the interest in stripped down resin kits of odd subjects. like you buy a kit and all you get is a fuselage,wheels and flying surfaces.maybe some scale drawings for reference. then the modeller sources his own engine,guns,decals, and scratches cockpit and other details. this way it keeps costs down and the modeller just does what he normally does anyway. you buy a kit from a company(no names) but its seems like most of the stuff provided goes in the trash because its full of bubbles or the molds werent aligned properly.you spend $70 to $80 bucks when you only really need the main parts . i was thinking maybe i make some strip down kits where you just get the basics of a cool aircraft that most likely wouldnt get kitted anyway. this would save time for scratchbuilders on scratching the main parts and the modeller would be able to get down to the fun parts. what do you think?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1/48 stripdown resin kits
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:52:09 AM »
Excellent idea, Scott!  As you said, many of us are already doing that with a lot of our kits, resin and injected.  Hell, most vac kits are exactly what you describe, only a lot more work.   Having a set of your wings that you made for the RE-8, I know the quality will be good.  How about the long awaited Elephant?  I doubt Karaya will ever get around to it.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
i havent really thought about the subjects too much, although i think the first one may be a hansa brandenburg c.1 and or a hansa d.1. mostly i want to do stuff that everyone wishes would come out but wont likely. and elephant sounds great. i need to see what refs i have for that one. i am almost sure i have a 3 view.basically i'm thinking a (bare)fuselage,wings,tail feathers, maybe wheels. on certain things i might do a floor and/or seat and/or control panel.on certain cases i may do an engine block etc. on the h.b. c.1 i have already scratched a slatted floor and a fuel tank/seat. so that one would have those two. i figure it will be up to t,he modeller to scratch the bulk of the interior,struts source guns, etc. that way i can do it for like $30 instead of spending so much time on the details,which if i spent the time to do em right and add all the details i would have to charge twice that and still guys may want to add am guns and beef up/scratch the int. so i was thinking bare bones 1/48 stuff. maybe some conversions.maybe a few 1/32 conversions like the oeffag for the 1/32 roden d.iii i started a while ago.i'd also like to do wings and tail feathers to convert the roden be2c to a "e" or "f" like i did a while backon my own project. and other fun suff that we dream of as a matter of fact if you guys want to post a wish list here that would be great.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »
plus i dont want to do what some resin companies do. i have seen companies put out resin kits and when you get it you see eduard and roden parts done as a half assed re-pop. why? just put out the basics and charge less.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
i'm not trying to become tamiya, i just thought it might be nice to contribute to my friends on the forum. was planning on breaking even to be honest, i like the design aspect as well as the odd ball planes. and if i'm doing a conversion or what not why not just cast the parts and sell em to friend who can do a model of something they couldnt get otherwise for a cheap price. it was a thought. regardless i will build my own stuff and make molds as i go, in case i ever want to do another. if anyone is interested i can pop one out for them.

as an update to the pm you sent me i am gonna have to remake the mold for the parts you asked me to make next week then i can pop those out for you. cheers

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
i prefer injected kits myself, but i have several resin kits. the reason i have these is because they are of a subject that i like that has never or maybe will never be made as an i.m. kit. you know what i mean. i buy resin kits because i love ww1 aircraft and theres only so many spads .nieuports,fokkers, and albatrosen one can build. i love a-h stuff but other than a handfull of kits mostly in resin and vac you are out of luck. i just figure if i'm gonna make stuff anyway i may as well cast the main parts and offer them to friends who feel the same as me.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
and actually i will basically just have the molds. i wont stock kits. so if someone wants one, i cast it, box it and ship it. they just paypal me.at least thats my idea.