Author Topic: a report on gaspatch models new guns  (Read 1760 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

a report on gaspatch models new guns
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:06:37 AM »
i saw the initial post when the first lewis and hotchkiss came out and was impressed. recently the line of vickers was released so i decided to purchase a sampling to see first hand. well all i can say is holy shit these guns are nice.  with the vickers and lewis you get a pair of guns with magazines, the lewis mags (there are 4 in the package) are the nicest ive seen and even have the handles molded open so you dont have to make them. the hochkiss is only one gun but it comes with the drum mag ,the strip mag, a batch bag for spent shells and a mounting fork. these are the nicest examples of ww1 aircraft guns in any scale.they have to be seen to be believed .the barrel tips are open but you may want to open them slightly more with a micro drill bit. i was also impressed with the packaging and the promptness of service. it took one week to get them in the u.s. from greece. the packaging is such that each individual part is tucked into a custon made foam block and this is in a rigid plastic  package that can be opened and closed so that you can remove them and place them back in for protection. what i dont understand the most is there are no pour stubs or seams. i cast resin and i can see how they did it. the parts are pretty mauch ready to be painted and mounted on your model. oveall i am thouroughly impressed with every facet of these guns. all i can say is bring on the spandaus and parabellums. well worth every penny.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: a report on gaspatch models new guns
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
No seams... because they are not cast :)

(I have no inside knowledge but I am pretty certain these are made using one of the myriad 3D printing techs, I believe in this case one of the metal sintering methods)

You guys, I keep saying this, the world is about to change dramatically, this is the tip of the iceberg...

Cheers

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
i know the turnbuckles are done like that, but they are metal. these guns appear to be resin. they are yellowish plastic not metal. maybe done on a 3 d printer  but has to be a diff type than their turnbuckles.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
i know the turnbuckles are done like that, but they are metal. these guns appear to be resin. they are yellowish plastic not metal. maybe done on a 3 d printer  but has to be a diff type than their turnbuckles.

Ah, I assumed they were made of the same stuff as the turnbuckles. But there are tons of technologies. SLA (stereolithography) resembles cast resin in finish. The really high resolution machines are capable of excellent detail.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:32:51 AM »
my initial post was right after i got them and hadnt truly inspected them. i assumed they were cast resin because on the website they are called "resin" guns. on close inspection last night with 30x magnification they are definately 3d printed. you can see the topographical nature of the larger pieces(shell catch bags). it looks like a map with stepped data. granted the transition is virtually smooth and would be impossible to be noticed after painting. but its there. i guess eventually we modellers will own a 3d printer and download the latest release from a company to be printed at home.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
actually i can see this technology replacing photoetch eventually. the reason we use the stuff is cuz plastic couldnt capture such fine detail on things like throttles, gun jackets etc. looking at this fine detail i dont see why costas cant print up a spandau with perforated jaqckets in place. probably what hes working on.