Author Topic: Josef Jacob's Airplane(s) Markings - Resurrected from an Earlier Post  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Charger

A much earlier post queried the availability Jacob's markings in 1/32; so for once I'm following directions and starting a new thread.

I queried Rowan Broadbent about the likelihood of Jacob's decals for the WNW D.VII kit and he indicated that they were going to be included (for both D.III and D.VII), whenever he gets these these decals out.  My limited research suggests that the God of the North Wind representations were different for each aircraft and were all subject to a whole lot of speculation. Note that the D.III had a really sexy set of national insignia, while the the D.VII apparently had standard markings.  For my money, the most attractive representation is found on a sim site.  Any corrections or additional info on this subject are most welcome.

Val

Offline petrov27

Do you have a link to the sim site depiction? I would like to see how they show it.

Always liked Jacob's DrI - want to eventually do a Roden in that scheme....
-Patrick

Offline Charger

First of all, I must humbly apologize for calling a Dr1 a D.III. I hadn't even been drinking.

In searching for the sim, I found a modern photo of a Dr1 made up as Jacob's aircraft, and very similar to the sim (perhaps the source of the sim):   http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/art/43792-red-barons-signature.html.

The sim in question, with contemporary photos: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2934865.html.

Offline rhallinger

The Roden 1/32 Dr.1 includes decals for the Jacobs machine, as shown in the sim.  Glad to hear Rowan will be doing the Jacobs D.VII.

Regards,

Bob

Offline ALBATROS1234

what do you mean by sim? i have limited knowledge on jacobs. what i know or thought i knew was that he had at least 2 black dr.1s one was like the god of the north wind like in the roden kit and the old dml kit, which is the same as what you call a sim.also he had a solid black one without the "god" on the side. so is there some new info that says this is wrong in some way?

Offline rhallinger

Alby:

My reference to the sim is the artist rendering shown in the link provided by Charger--it's a color computer generated flight simulator image that shows the black Jacobs Dr.1 with the God of the North Wind markings and the extra lower wing crosses as provided in the Roden kit.  I think you are right, that Jacobs had another black Dr.1 without the emblem on the fuselage.

Regards,

Bob

Offline ALBATROS1234

oh, computer sim. i thought you guys were saying this was an incorrect marking. brain fart here. thanks.