Author Topic: masking over decals?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Old Dog

masking over decals?
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
Building MVR"s Albatros DV. Wood grain fuselage with red cowlings and red tail feathers. I would like to use the wood grain decals for this. Does anyone have any experience masking over decals? Seems very dangerous, but needed for the red tail.
                                                                                                          Thanks Guys

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: masking over decals?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
Masking over decals is fine as long as the decals have had a few good coats of clear to protect them. Masking directly onto a decal would be disasterous, even with low tack masking tape, so make sure the decals are well protected first and you will have no problems. Still use a low tack tape though.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
you could also shoot the tail red,mask the tail then decal up to the border i suppose.always scary to think of masking a decal, ive seen some old pros pull em up. i paint my woodgrain so it wasnt hard when i did my eduard dv in this scheme.another way ive have been thinking about but not sure how great it would work is useing that new bandage material that sticks to itself but has no adhesive. its porous so you would have to tape regular tape over it. but in theory it could work. just havent tryed it yet.

like this stuff below, but you can get it in any drugstore.
http://www.quill.com/3m-coban-self-adherent-wrap/cbs/260792.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_CB_260792
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:51:01 PM by ALBATROS1234 »

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »
I have successfully masked over sealed decals with post it notes. I have also pulled up sealed decals (all the way down to the primer coat) with Tamiya tape.