Author Topic: IPMS Canada Western Regional Model Contest  (Read 2599 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
IPMS Canada Western Regional Model Contest
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »
   On the weekend of 01 June I attended the Western Canada IPMS Model Show hosted by IPMS Calgary in Nanton, Alberta. The venue was well chosen, the Bomber Command Museum of Canada which honors the thousands of Canadians who served in Bomber Command in WWII. The trip was well worth the effort just to visit this lovely Museum, a first time for me. In addition to a very impressive collection of memorabilia and "bits and pieces" the Museum houses a number of vintage aircraft including a rebuilt Lancaster. One of the attractions was the start up and engine run of the aircraft, the sound of the Merlins was incredible!

The magnificent granite Memorial to the many who did not return home was an emotional pause................ The slabs with the names of those lost stretch at least 15-20 feet out on either side, an incredibly tragic price paid by a relatively small Country when measured by population at the time.

I will be entering this thread in two or three instalments; first the overall Show and Contest.
    When I last inquired there were just over 600 Entries in all categories. The event was well planned, organised, and hosted with a large Display Area, very well attended Vendors Area, and a well provisioned and staffed Refreshments Venue. I spent almost 10 Hours on site, and didn't have enough time to do all I wished.

A few shots of the Display and Contest Area taken before the crowds........

And approximately one half of the Vendors Area...........

Last, a few shots of some of the artifacts serving as background. (My Brother is the Professional Photographer in the family, I was obviously there without him!)

..........and what would any Canadian Air Museum be without a Harvard? (more then one would be OK too!)

The quality of the Entries was spectacular; just a few photos slightly out of the Wood and Wire Discipline however we all appreciate and admire great modelling skills.

This Diorama took Gold and ultimately Best Aircraft Subject in Show, the photo doesn't do it justice, a magnificent piece of work!

A beautiful "Stang" and a shot of just some of the super detailing. (This took Gold in its' Class and will be featured in one of the major magazines in the near future, I don't recall which one)

Also a Medal Winner......

Some really magnificent detail..............

The AFV Section was the best attended.

And the Ships were magnificent!

Next Post I'll provide a report on the most important part of the event, World War One and Vintage Aircraft!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:10:23 AM by lcarroll »

Online pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: IPMS Canada Western Regional Model Contest
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »
An Airfix Swedish TSR2 in THAT scheme - now thats just crazy!! Looks to be a good show. Is the Lanc a local bird or from Hamilton?

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
An Airfix Swedish TSR2 in THAT scheme - now thats just crazy!! Looks to be a good show. Is the Lanc a local bird or from Hamilton?

Steve

Steve,
 The Lanc is a non-airworthy rebuild rescued from a Farmer's field years ago. I should have taken notes however I'll bet you can find her on Google through the Museum as a topic/link. Story is a group of 3-4 farmers bought her after she was flown back from Britain in very late 1945, paid some silly amount like $250 - $500 and "stashed her on a farm outside Nanton. She was transported on the Grid Roads to the Museum Site to be the "Centrepiece" and the local Committee has done a wonderful restoration on her. The prime Sponsor there appears to be WestJet Airline, and I forgot to mention the prime project presently is restoration of a Mosquito, not sure what Mark which is a jointly supported exercise by WestJet and Public Donations. I saw that one, and it's going to be a beauty!
Cheers
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
Lance: Great coverage of what looks to have been a memorable event, thanks for sharing!

Online pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
Must get there some time. Airworthy or not - 4 Merlins running is impressive.

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:17:18 AM »
Must get there some time. Airworthy or not - 4 Merlins running is impressive.

Steve

I've seen the CWH Lancaster airborne several times and the sound is just as impressive as seeing her flying, but being within 50 feet of those Merlins.......Oh My!!! They were not able to run all four, only the three fully installed but it didn't lessen the effect!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 03:49:56 AM »
IPMS Western Canadian Regional Show (Part Two)
    More on topic, the World War One Aircraft Models participation at the event proved to be slightly larger then the preceding Show held in Edmonton, Alberta, in June of 2012. All but two of the "Vintage" Entries were placed in the "Muliple Wings and/or Wire Braced" Category. There were over a dozen Entries, the two exceptions being placed in the "Youth/Novice" and "Aircraft Diorama" Sections.
    It was refreshing to see the Camel done by a eight year old Modeller, rough but not lacking in enthusiasm and the right objectives. Hang on Folks, there's competition in the making in our younger generation!

I also have to include the Youth Category Gold Medal recipient; Chuck Yeager would be proud of this effort by a Kid who looked no older then 10-11! (The Judges moved this to the younger category prior to judging to "level the playing field".)

The quality of the Entries was very high, there were several very modest entrants who were strangers to our Site and whose work was spectacular; needless to say I passed off our address to them and hopefully they'll come on board. I was disappointed that Dr. (retired) Tom Morgan of Winnipeg whose spectacular work you can see often in Windsock Worldwide (he's a regular contributer to Lance Kreig's "Modelling master Class" Series) chose to enter only AFV subjects this year. (he took away 4 medals including two Golds in that Category!)

Following are some of the Entries that graced the table in our genre: (forgive again the non-quality photography)

A couple of WNW Fokker EIII's................

This one (following two photos) garnered a very well deserved Gold

A very nicely built Eduard 1:48 Camel which won the Bronze

Several others that were in the running (The DR1 is mine) ............

and my own DV which, to my surprise, won the Silver in Class

There were several others I somehow managed to not get a shot of, notably a WNW Pfalz DXII which should really have been recognised.
   All said and done, a great event and kudos to the "Rocky Mountain Modellers" of the Calgary IPMS Chapter. Next year the event will rotate back to the Edmonton Chapter, and I won't miss it.
    As a sobering footnote the town I stayed in only 15kms from Nanton to attend the Show, High River, Alberta, was the worst hit by our record floods of the past two weeks. The entire community was evacuated with only four lives (at present count) lost, and most of the 10,000 residents still havn't returned to homes that were totally submerged. The Show host community of Nanton is still the Emergency Coordination location and is hosting an estimated 7000 evacuees, some of them in the Museum Hangar.
   Hope you enjoy this very brief report of one of our more popular Canadian Events for the Modelling Community.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »
Thank you Lance for giving us an account of the show, it appears to be a very well organized and run show and it is good to see a number of WW1 aircraft. Congratulations on your awards, they are well deserved.

Hearing one Merlin engine running is enough to bring tears to your eyes let alone three of them, what an awesome sound.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »
Congrats on well deserved medal Lance!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
Thanks for the photo coverage Lance. Ya done good with that camera. Congratulations on your well deserved Silver medal, but it's obvious to me that it deserved a Gold!

As for that eight year old's Camel, he did a great job with it. Can you imagine how bad he's going to make us feel when he gets older and has a few more under his belt?

I know what you mean about the sound of those four Merlins. I'm fortunate to live under the flight path the CWH Lanc flies when she attends the Trenton airshow. She has such a distinctive drone that I always know it's her as she approaches.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »
Thanks Guys, you are the "judges" that count! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline BLOWHARD

• Great War In The Air - Dave Douglass Gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »
That looks like a fun show!  :D
DAVE IPMS 16124