Author Topic: Handy magnifier for spectacle wearers - an eye loupe  (Read 948 times)

Offline lone modeller

Handy magnifier for spectacle wearers - an eye loupe
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:36:09 AM »
Evening All,
   I was reading a thread earlier this evening when I came across a common problem for modellers of all ages - how to see very small parts. I am sure that this is a problem for many, regardless of age, as I have had to wear spectacle glasses for most of my life and have therefore always had some difficulty seeing the very small parts that some of us like to add to our models. This problem occurs regardless of scale: very small parts are just very small and seeing them can be difficult. For example I have this evening made a wind generator for a 1:72 scale model which measures 2mmx 1.5mm, (approx 1:16 inch x 1:32 inch), and has a propellor, but I could easily have been trying to make an equally small part for a larger scale model - the problem would have been the same, ie how to see what I was doing.

Bear in mind that I wear spectacle glasses and I want to keep both hands free and I do not want a large magnifying glass on my work area as I have a tendency to knock them over. I use instead a clip-on magnifying glass with a x10 magnification at approx 10cm (4 inches) from the lens. There is the option of adding a second lens which allows magnification of x20 at about 2-3 cm (1 to 1 1/2 inches) from the lens which I do not use because it is too inconvenient. The advantage of this lens is that I can clip it on to the arm of my spectacle glasses (either left or right, it makes no difference), leave my hands completely free, work on any piece anywhere, ie I do not have to bring the piece to a specific place on my table, and can swing the lens upwards if I want to have "normal" vision for a couple of minutes to go to the bathroom or do other modelling tasks before I return to very small and detailed work. In fact it is easy to see normally with it in place but it is convenient to be able to push it away and you do not lose it so easily then. The one possible problem could be if the spectacle glasses that you wear have thick arms as the clip may not fit - check first if you are seriously interested in this idea.

The wood block is approx 15cm x 8cm (6 inches x3 inches). These lenses cost about £10 via the internet or some good tool shops: search or ask for "eye loupes" which is the correct name for them. I use one frequently for all sorts of tasks including rigging, and would simply not be able to do these things without one. It enables me to get real satisfaction from my hobby and I do not have to give in to one of the drawbacks of getting older - yet.

I hope that this may be of use to modellers of all ages and visual acuity (ability to see).

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Handy magnifier for spectacle wearers - an eye loupe
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »
Lone Modeller,
   Another good approach is the "Optivisor". It works well with your glasses in place, various lenses are available, (I use a 2.5 and/or 3.5X) and it is probably my most critical modelling tool. Google or a Search here on the Site will provide the info. I like it as it is either down as a visor for use or up and out of the way when not required.
Cheers,
Lance 8)