Author Topic: 1/72 LeRhone Engine  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Modelnut

1/72 LeRhone Engine
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:56:22 AM »
I am lousy at posting links, but while over at HyperScale I found something of interest to many here. A company called Small Stuff is offering a resin aftermarket engine, with more types to follow. The review is listed under the June 13 update. We 1/72 modellers are no longer left out! :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/72 LeRhone Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
Here's the link to the engine on the Small Stuff website.

Des.

http://www.smallstuffmodels.com/2013/03/72102-172-le-rhone-9c-80-hp-engine_11.html
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »
Wow! Those are VERY impressive.

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:52 AM »
Holy cow!  Unbelievable!  That Clerget is the most impressive of the 3.  Those individual rocker arm assemblies just blow me away.  I know this will make the 1/72 scale guys very happy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Good lord! That has to be assembled? What do you use for tweezers? Two hydrogen molecules?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
My hat goes off to the guys who work in 1:72 scale, I have enough trouble working in 1:32 scale. These engines are truely amazing and I hope that they increase their range, it is fantastic to see companies directing their skills to making 1:72 and 1:48 scale parts and accessories, we need more in these scales.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IvotB

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:40:16 PM »
Looks very good. I could use a 7 cylinder version as it was used on a Farman HF20. I have an Omega kit with a nice resin lump for an engine. Such an engine like this would improve this model enormous.

regards,
Ivo

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
Great news. I will most probably use it for MAC's Bristol Scout that is lingering in my to-be-built stash.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
Just  bought a couple of each of the three engine offerings, as decent 1/72 rotaries are very hard to find and these look stunning.  One of these will definitely find its way into my 1/72 Sopwith Triplane currently on the bench  ;D

BC

Offline Zabu

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:48 PM »
They look so nice!

I got to get me some of those!!

Offline IvotB

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 07:38:27 AM »
Today I recieved a small package from Israel with a very challenging kit of the Gnome 7 Lambda 80hp engine. It's a real beauty and one can't really imagine how something this small can be produced. My highest compliments must go to Eugeney Knupfer from small stuff.

As I told you last year I was looking for a replacement engine for this resin lump:

which should be fitted to these wings and fuselage:

These are parts of the Omega Farman HF XX kit in 1:72. I have witnessed the build log of Des with his Omega kit and there is also room for improvement for this kit. But the basics seem ok and I will try to add a lot of detail to the interior based on excellent CAD drawings I found on the Internet from D. Saler. I also need to think about the best rigging lines for this kit. There are many.

But on to the engine. The parts of the smallstuff are quite impressive:

To my luck there are some spare parts. There are 10 cylinders and you'll need only 7, there are 10 spark plug, 10, rocker arms and 9 pushrod's (my kit is missing one). The ignition cables will be scratch built.

To give you an impression in the cylinders (which I can't appreciate without a magnifying glass):

Also the centre of the engine seems to have all the bolts:

There's a resin tool included for placing the spark plugs in the cylinders.

I was already very impressed by the work of Lukasz of Taurus models on his 1:32 engine. Next to eachother:

Now I don't know if I will be able to put this engine together. Parts are very tiny and I'll do my best. Also realistic painting is going to be a challenge.

It's extremely nice that there are so many excellent modellers around the world that help us with such exquisit after market products to improve in this case the 1:72 Omega kit.

regards,
Ivo

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:48:52 AM by IvotB »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »
 :o!!!!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
Awesome stuff  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
have you ever seen those sticky stick thingys? let me try to find a link? be right back

Offline ALBATROS1234