Author Topic: Paint storage  (Read 879 times)

Offline Berman

Paint storage
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:16 AM »
 To better preserve your expensive supply of paints, you should cover the open bottle with a piece of polyethylene sandwich bag, clear kitchen wrap, or supermarket produce bag. After tightening the lid, the bottles should be stored upside down. This will prevent any intrusion of air. You can paint the bottom of the bottles to make it easy to locate the right one.
 Acrylic paint cures by a combination of polymerization and evaporation. You should only stir acrylic paints. Shaking them will mix in air and cause polymerization. Okay to shake solvent based paints such as enamels or lacquers. You can add a small stainless steel ball to enamels or lacquers to help mix the paint.
                                               Barry

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Paint storage
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:08:26 AM »
Excellent tip, Barry.  Thank you.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bbrockel

Re: Paint storage
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »
I agree, Barry.  Very cool tip.  I use the plastic trash bag trick, but storing them upside down should help prolong the life of the paint.  Thanks for the tips.
Bob

"If at first you don't succeede, use a bigger hammer"