Author Topic: Spad XIII with American Roundels AND a Swastika?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Modelnut

Spad XIII with American Roundels AND a Swastika?
« on: May 18, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
I picked up a little Academy 1/72 Spad today to spend the rainy weekend coming up. The kit is obviously basic for the $5 price, but has no paint call outs, description of the particular plane , or rigging diagram. No big deal on the paint . It's the same pattern as Revell's , so I can refer to those instructions. 

My question is about the markings. They are American but also have prominate black swastikas on the fuselage. I thought swastikas were Swiss? While searching the web for images I also found a French marked Spad with swastikas. Will it be correct to apply both per the instructions?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.

Offline Rob Hart

Re: Spad XIII with American Roundels AND a Swastika?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »
I think the swastika shows up in some native American symbols. I also recall seeing an old Aeromaster decal sheet with one of Lufbery's Spad VIIs adorned with a swastika.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
Raoul Lufbery's SPAD S.VII had red swastikas on the fuselage.  Not sure about the S.XIII, though.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Vickers

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »
I think the swastika shows up in some native American symbols. I also recall seeing an old Aeromaster decal sheet with one of Lufbery's Spad VIIs adorned with a swastika.

I don't know how I overlooked your response, Rob. (Forehead slap) "Yeah, yeah...  what he said"
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »
The historic symbolism is tied to the pinwheel.

Steve

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
After a bit of research I found that the Spad is from the Lafayette Escadrille squadron and pilots from both sides used the symbol.
I'm not horrified by a swastika, but it just looks odd on an Allied plane after being conditioned by society that the swastika meant evil.     

I still have reservations about how odd it will look, but it will be historically accurate and if anyone asks I can give them a history lesson. :)

Offline Old Man

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:46:15 AM »
Fairly common, and long-standing, in the U.S.A.S./U.S.A.A.C., Sir, deriving from affection for American Indian motifs. A bit off-topic, perhaps, but here is a picture of a Boeing P-12 of the 55th Pursuit Squadron in the early nineteen-thirties, displaying the squadron badge:

You will not, by the way, find this symbol referenced on the squadron's history page nowadays, though there is plenty of period photographic evidence of it. It was Lemon Yellow on a True Blue field, with an outline in the former color.

And yes, I did a model of it....

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:50:15 AM by Old Man »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »
I'm becoming a fan of those inter-war yellow wing paint schemes and aircraft. Nicely done!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:47:40 AM »
Hello Chris:

I concur that the Swastika marking is probably correct.  Without going on a political rant, the revisionists and PC crowd here in the states are avidly re-writing the history books.  I too like the yellow wings birds of the 30's, I just may have to revisit the old Hasegawa kits.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....