Author Topic: Inpact Bristol Boxkite  (Read 5065 times)

Offline NP

Inpact Bristol Boxkite
« on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »
Hello all,

I thought it would be an idea to make another trainer aircraft to go with the Camel and the Jenny I made up here for the "old kit" and "2-seater" group builds, and managed to pick up the old Inpact Boxkite kit on e-bay - 3 happened to come up in the same week, the first went for £45, I got the 3rd one for  quite a bit less  ;)

Here is what I got (after a bit of primer paint):

There were no instructions, but Sean O'Brien very kindly took the trouble to send me a PDF scan of some he had - thanks again Sean. 

You might be able to see from the photo that one of the tail-support booms is warped.  I tried to straighten that out with hot water, but with catastrophic results which made it far worse (you live and learn!) so I made up a new part from some plastruct strip.

Also one of the ailerons was missing, so I made up a replacement from some scrap plastic (actually a plastic flower pot marker!), and some tap and a bit of filler, for the ribs.

Putting the centre section together:

and that piece as it is is done so far:

I will continue this in a further post, in a moment

Offline NP

Re: Inpact Bristol Boxkite
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:13:24 PM »
Sticking on the front stabiliser and booms:

Assembling the tailplane:

Endeavouring to get the main frame on true:

Where I have got to so far:

The parts are going together pretty easily; "OOB" its not that detailed, but I'm going to leave it that way (unless I can do something with the engine).  The only reservations I'd tentatively give voice to are that the rear main frames seem rather flimsy (especially since the wings are going to add a fair bit of weight), although it will probably not be hard to add some reinforcement there if need be (it may well not be), and that the wings themselves are thick - I believe only one "sheet" of fabric covering was applied to the wing frame work on the actual plane (c/f sheets to top and bottom of the frame).  I guess allowances have to be made for the age of the kit there, I don't think It'll look bad anyway.

It is a rather large kit for 1/48, about the size of a 1/32 wingnut.  I'm going to have a problem to figure out where to keep it!

cheers.

Nigel

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »
This is going together quite nicely Nigel, do you have any idea what age the kit is?

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:34 AM »
Interesting subject....... great work .   :)

The "Impact" "MMITFM" kits were from the old Pyro 'molds and were released shortly after the movie was released to take advantage of it.
So, if anyone  wants one (Bristol Boxkite) there are still some available  on E-Bay with the "Pyro" label .

BTW, I recently got the  1911"Deperdussin" from that series but  with the original  Pyro label 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:54:03 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline NP

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 06:00:26 AM »
This is going together quite nicely Nigel, do you have any idea what age the kit is?

Des.

There is no date on the box, but doing a bit of quick research on the internet, I think (stand to be corrected) that "The Magnificent Men" film came out in 1965, and in his book Harry Woodmans' says Inpact ceased production in 1968.

I read on the 'net that Pyro took over Inpacts' molds in 1970, Pyros' molds went to Lifelike sometime after 1972 (and they are now with Lindberg).  The instructions Sean sent me are the Lifelike ones.

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:13:33 AM »
While I learned a long time ago not to believe everything that I read on the net, this may clear some things up on the history  of Pyro and  their molds as they relate to other companies who used them. In any event, the Impact  and Pryo kits  in question  are one and the same . :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyro_Plastics_Corporation   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:23:17 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:30:19 AM »
Any updates? :)

Offline NP

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
Sorry, I've been distracted by other things and not done any aero-modelling for a few weeks; the wings are painted up though, ready for fixing when I get round to doing the struts and drill some rigging holes.