Author Topic: 1/32 DH 2 Wingnut Wings  (Read 2746 times)

Offline mc65

1/32 DH 2 Wingnut Wings
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
well, back home, finally... :o
let's try to upload images.

a little premise: these pictures are the ones that I use to shoot during the working, to check and store the progress (if any... ::)) and see what can be understood at distance.
so, absolutely no pretense to show quality images.
having looked around to the previous posts, I understood that I have to think about a semi-permanent photo set, and to force myself to shoot some sort of "artistic" pics, more than "testimonial" ones.
well, another tray to open in my mind, I begin to need a maid!

anyway, if you will, you may have a tour in the dh2's wip, posted in an itaian afv's forum. sure all the writing is in italian, but the images follow the entire building, so maybe can be interesting.
here the link: http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/discussione.aspx?idd=10460422
and, if you are patient enough, typing "mc65" at the right low end of the page, in the box "cerca" (search) you'll have an idea of wich kind of slow and masochist sort of modeller I am, involving myself in strange and hopeless projects... ;)

stop talking, now. here we are, enjoy!

that's all. I'm not satisfied about the painting, resulting in upper wings too flat, but on the whole I like it. at least I kicked the wiring bogeyman, and I fall back in love again with airplanes... ;D

see you nextly, p.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1/32 DH 2 Wingnut Wings
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »
Truly brilliant, Paolo!  Your presentation is very engaging.  Every aspect, from the grassy base, to the pilot, to that gorgeous DH2 herself are all stunning.  Quite the introduction, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
Molto Bello!  :)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
Great work!!

Steve

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »
Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks for sharing this beautiful DH2. Unfortunately my Italian is too poor to follow the text, and I would like to ask you for a few hints, on how you made those great castor oil stains on the stabilisers, rudder and fin?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »
Splendido

Thanks for posting the pics, Paolo  ;)
A beauty and no mistake.

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
Gorgeous!!
I see that you are using Live Colors paints, I'm using it too, what is yours opinion abut it?

Adam.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
What a fantastic result! The figure really suits the scene so well too- I have one ("Lets go!") already sitting in my DH2 box ready for when I can start it.
What did you use for the grass?

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:02:30 PM »
Very nicely done! I too am interested in what you used for the grass.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline xmald

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »
This is a great looking DH2! The rigging on this bird is a real hell of a workload. Congrats mate and I hope to see some work of your works here!
Best regards
Filip

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »
  Paolo,
Congratulations my friend she's one Outstanding DH-2. The DH-2 alone is outstanding by itself but with your diorama base this moves right up to the awesome. Thank you for the build link as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your projects posted here.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline mc65

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
hi all,
thank you very much for comments, I'm glad you like it. ;D

prezmol, the oil spots on the tail are done with AK products (oil stains) as well the ones on the wings near the engine, and the fuel and oil stains on the engine cowling. here I used also fuel stains product.
the difference between the areas is that on the tail and wing I let some microdrops been throwed from a brush "on speed" on a thinned surface. in this manner the drop splashes on surface, and finding a thinned base, enlarge itself as, well, oil on canvas... ;)
in particular, on the upper center tail section I sprayed a little AK product "rainmark for nato tanks" before oiling. it's a sandy wash that lights up the upper color, as it is faded by fuel and oil flushing from the engine. the stains on engine cowling area instead are applied by brush following the natural sense of the flow.

rizzo & chris, the grass is a mix of model scene and mininatur products, applied with an home made ellettrostatic applicator. the flowers are green line products.

adam, I'm doing some experiments with lifecolors. restart to modelling after years of oblivion opened me the world of acrylics, I was stuck in with humbrol... so I'm still exploring.
I find the lifecolors beautifully matt and covering, while the vallejo result somewhat clear and prone to gloss when dry... so it depends from the result you want! either with airbrush they works great. but, speaking about choice of colors, I find interesting also considering the container: the vallejo are really useful, while the lifecolors oblige to use pipettes. moreover, vallejo has a really wide range of colors, while with lifecolors you have to mix a little to achieve the "right" tone, sometimes.   
conclusion? right now I use both of them! :o

i.e.: here a coat of acrylic primer vallejo.

doesn't seems so shiny, but comparing the turret with the hull... the last has received some lifecolor rust tones.

and a quick session of greens lifecolor. a milk run!

phew, a little prolix!
now let's start something new... what about, say, an albatros?  ;)

thanks again, bye, p. :)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »
  Paolo,
Very impressive my friend.  T34 right?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline michael

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »
Fantastic work i also love the base  :)

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:22 AM »
Paolo,

Your DH2 looks brilliant.  Love the diorama!

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?