Author Topic: I.D. Models 1/32nd Albatros D.Va  (Read 6212 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

I.D. Models 1/32nd Albatros D.Va
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
Or as I like to say...

Decent into Mordor... :o

Gregory sent this along with a Tom's Model Works 48th Albatros as well!  Thanks so much, Gregory!  I was glad to get it and it really isn't as horrible as I'm suggesting.  Just playing around.  Here are the major pieces next to the WNW parts for comparison. 

There are some shape issues and the ribbing is a bit fierce.  But the challenge will be to get to up to speed and see if we can tell it apart from the WNW example.  Mordor is appropriate too since there's a link to WNW and Peter Jackson  ::)

Wish me luck on this latest vac adventure...

Cheers,

Dan

Offline RAGIII

Re: I.D. Models 1/32nd Albatros D.Va
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
You are a better man than me! I am looking forward to what you do with this one! I threw my copy of that vac away a long time ago  :-X
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
Yipes! Go Dan go!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
OMG, Dan!  (I never thought I'd live to see the day when I would type "OMG".  See what you did, Dan?)  I had never seen this kit.  Only read about it many years ago in WS.  This is going to be a fun build to watch.  I'm rootin' for ya, buddy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:33 PM »
  Dan,
I knew I'd sent the kit to a good home my old friend. No it's not even close to WNW quality but in talented hands the ol'vac can build up into a real stunner. You've certainly the talent as well as the needed skil and craftsmanship to do just that. I'm very looking forward to following this thread to watch the vac-magic unfold.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »
There can only be one, my precious!  ;D
Good luck!

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 12:32:30 AM »
A bit more on Precious last night... ::)

I did saw off the fin/rudder since it needs to be reshaped a bit.  It's too sloping and thick anyway.  I didn't show it, but I also put the stabilizer together and cut off the elevator.  It looks like things will be ok there.

The main work now is putting the fuselage on a diet and trying to reshape the rear taper to the tail when you look at it from top or bottom.  The side profile (except for the cockpit opening) looks pretty good!

So in the pictures, I hope you can see a before and after and the fuselage getting a bit skinnier.  Still more work to go but it's getting there  ;)

Thanks for checking it all out.  I'm just taking it one little piece at a time.  Who knows how it will end up???

Dan The Vac Man

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:25 AM »
  Dan,
You Da Man Doctor Vac!!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:12:37 AM »
Great start! Your work on thinning the fuselage is evident in the photo!
RAGIII

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »
Looking at your comparison photos, I think I would prefer the trip to Mordor than what you are attempting.  I've never seen an active volcano in person or an orc for that matter, it would be... educational.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 05:54:24 AM »
I'm just glad to discover there is someone crazier than me here  ;D

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:56:31 AM »
You'll all be laughing when it sits next to a lovely WNW and the judges can't tell the difference!!   ::)

This will be just as educational as seeing an orc or a volcano...but perhaps less dangerous.  Or maybe not.

Stay tuned for more entertainment.  I have to make a trip to the auto parts store for some bondo soon!   ;D

Dan

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:37:22 AM »
A bit more done on Precious...

Since the cockpit opening is too large (it goes too far down the fuselage sides and too far forward), I simply cut out the offending area along wood panel lines and will fill it in later with the correct sized opening.  Not too tough and it will really make things look much better.

I also opened up the area over the guns and engine.  Just for fun, I stuck in the WNW engine to see how things will look.

I have to say, with an engine in there, it's starting to look legitimate!  I'll keep plugging a way a bit at a time.  I think I'll start with the interior now since placing those pieces in will start keying the correct location for everything else and make me feel like I'm making headway... ::)

Cheers to all,

Dan
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:38:54 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 05:53:09 AM »
I suggest you cut a few more panels from the top and replace with WnW parts. Once dry, cut away the remaining lower panels and do likewise  8)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 06:11:47 AM »
I suggest you cut a few more panels from the top and replace with WnW parts. Once dry, cut away the remaining lower panels and do likewise  8)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey, I may agree but I am really intrigued to see the results of this one!
RAGIII