Author Topic: DVIII wing stain  (Read 2307 times)

mike in calif

DVIII wing stain
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »
I'm curious if anyone can help me with color matches for the DVIII wing. I've got one wood-grained(wing) and would like to move this one forward a bit.
          Thanks,Mike

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: DVIII wing stain
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
Fokker? - Mine is a dark green - one of the Tamiya colours.

Steve

mike in calif

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »
Steve, I know the old thought was that the DVIII wing was a darkish green, but there was some research in this area by Dan San and some others that revealed the use of four stains, 2 each upper and lower respectively; I'd like to try to get to those color samples if possible.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »
  Mike,
There are several outstanding build thread over at the other place for the Fokker E.V/D.VIII. Excellent color data is included in both thread. Look up the threads from our own Trackpad and Mike Taylor. You'll find them in the archives for 2011. Looking forward to seeing your E.V my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
I never was convinced on that train of thought. It looks good but I just dont see it.

Steve

Offline Mossie

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:54:30 AM »
For the correct stain colors, best look over http://www.collectors-edition.de/f-t-s_titel_english.htm and maybe buy the two D.VIII books. The books mention the exact stain colors, which are still available today. The German company still makes them.

I was with Achim Engels building the wing and doing the stain work, and it was a shocking color when first put on, but sunlight fades it quickly.

I have as part of the work a range of detailed images on the D.VIII aircraft, and others, during various stages of production during my various long stays.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
...hmm Im behind the times....its not often Im right but Im wrong again....

Steve

mike in calif

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »
Wow! very cool stuff. Thanks Mossie for the great link, the DVIII is such a mis-understood plane. I'm into the AVIA kit, and hope that WNW will do this machine also. This could really have been a good fighter, but those darn QC issues made sure it was not. At any rate, the color images will help me cover my wing. I'll get some piccies up this weekend of where I'm at.