Author Topic: How to package a model for a show?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline stefanbuss

How to package a model for a show?
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »
Friends,

as I am about to attend my very first exhibition with my own models, what do you propose on how to best protect my aircraft models during transport (which will bemade by car)? I was thinking of putting each aircraft into a plastic bag (to contain any broken parts), then putting those into a plastic box stuffed with small styrofoam pieces.

Is that a good idea?

Stefan

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: How to package a model for a show?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »
I have found that drycleaner bags layed "scrunched" up in the box, nesting the model in them then laying some more over top gives enough stability and 'cling' without causing any static problems.

Steve

Offline drdave

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:32:48 AM »
I haven't done it myself, but you can put a model on a sheet of polystyrene or foam in a sturdy card board box and hold it in place on the sheet with cocktail sticks pushed through the polystyrene.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
Stefan,
    I asked the same question last year about this time for the same reason (travelling by road to my first show) I used Daves method; styrofoam base, cocktail sticks to hold in place, then Steve's lightweight dry cleaning type bags and styro over top (braced vertically to prevent it from dropping and compressing the model).all in a sealed cardboard box. Took me only a few hours to do, and I'll be using them again in less then 2 months from now. Worked excellent, no damage, and the models are back home in the display case as they left it.
    Good luck at the Show, where is it?
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »
Friends,

thank you for your feedback. I will keep you informed if the packaging method i will try out was successful.
Lance, the show is in Germany.

Stefan

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »
I like Steve's dry cleaning bag idea. I can't imagine a better cushion for a fragile model.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »
I use a similar idea to Steve, but with plastic grocery bags. They're light enough to "give" and strong enough to support the model without putting all the weight on the undercarriage.

Ian

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »
Friends,

i can confirm now that your packaging proposals worked very well - I was able to get my models to the show and back without any damage.

Thank you very much for providing your experience.

Stefan