Author Topic: WNW DVIII (OAW) What have I done wrong?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Graham t

WNW DVIII (OAW) What have I done wrong?
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:53:58 AM »
Dry fitting the rather complex cowl arrangement.  The port side is fine but to starboard something is amiss.  It looks like the firewall (A46) is insufficiently far forward but I can't see how I got this wrong!  I think I can get the cowl to fit but it's going to look a bit odd.  Anyone else had this?

Offline IvotB

Re: WNW DVIII (OAW) What have I done wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »
Graham,

To me the starboard cowl seems to be misformed. Near the firewall the cowl should be on top of the edge of the cowl on top of the tank and ammunition boxes. I do see the small edge on this cowl, but I don't see a matching top motor cowl. Perhaps somebody else had the answer for the OAW version, but the cowls on my Fokker D.VII are shaped differently. Perhaps you could have a look on the WNW website. They have pictures of all the sprues in the kit, which you can enlarge and make a comparison with your parts.

regards,
Ivo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:24:24 AM »
I have looked at the WNW site. The piece is molded completely compared to the photos. Looking at the directions it seems the cowl should line up more or less where the firewall curves backward, not at the top like on the Fokker built aircraft. Yours seems to be pretty close. I am attempting to attach a link but they don't always work with the WNW site.
RAGIII

http://wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3080&cat=4

PS: I checked the link, you will need to scroll to the proper picture from the directions.
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:26:15 AM »
  Graham,
I'm in agreement with Ivo the cowl does indeed appear deformed . If it truly is I'd contact WNW for a replacement cowl.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IvotB

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
Well, I checked the link given by RAG III and I must agree that the part on the WNW site looks thesame as yours. So it is probably not misformed, but now I am a little bit puzzled like you how it should fit. I would start with fitting it to the radiator in front first and then try to see how it should fit at or near the firewall. The firewall itself seems to be in the correct location as far as I can see. You can also use the side panel for a correct location of the top cowl as it should follow the shape of the side panel.

Perhaps this special shape of the cowl is needed for a specific exhaust for the OAW version.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:51:30 PM by IvotB »

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
On the OAW the top cowl is as your kits shows, so don't panic. DVII Anthology has a shot of the Brome County D.VII on page 7

Still not sure? look at the images in the WNW handbook on page 17. Its easy to think somethings wrong, done it soooo many times myself
 ;)

Keith
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:01:13 PM by kornbeef »
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
The OAW cowl apparently didnt connect to the upper panelwork as the Fokker variant did. On the kit the firewall seems to angle back too much in relationship to the curved D shaped opening on the top of the panel/s (seems it should actually be in two halves) that sit over the tank. It should be slightly visible at the rear of the cut out. Not a problem with a full cowl build as this area's pretty busy and covered.
It's all a necessary evil by WNW trying to keep everything as inscale as possible.

So fit it to the rad assembly using the frame curve to line it up, it should sit snug on the upper curve of the frame. Maybe thin & sand the edges for a more in scale look

Keith

Offline Graham t

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
The OAW cowl apparently didnt connect to the upper panelwork as the Fokker variant did. On the kit the firewall seems to angle back too much in relationship to the curved D shaped opening on the top of the panel/s (seems it should actually be in two halves) that sit over the tank. It should be slightly visible at the rear of the cut out. Not a problem with a full cowl build as this area's pretty busy and covered.
It's all a necessary evil by WNW trying to keep everything as inscale as possible.

So fit it to the rad assembly using the frame curve to line it up, it should sit snug on the upper curve of the frame. Maybe thin & sand the edges for a more in scale look

Keith

Thanks Keith (& all), you've spotted what I was mainly concerned about, namely that the firewall appears to be incorrectly positioned.  I'll remove the "lip" from the front of the top decking (& which presumably is there for the full cowl version)  to hopefully make it look less like  cock up!

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »
No nee to remove the lip, the real panel extended a little further at the bottom edge, There was a definite lip though.

Offline Graham t

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 03:30:29 AM »
No nee to remove the lip, the real panel extended a little further at the bottom edge, There was a definite lip though.

Oh b@gger, just removed it! :-\

Offline mgunns

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 05:08:09 AM »
It looks like that cut out may be to accomodate the exhaust.  Without the exhuast attached it is hard to tell if it is deformed or not.  It does appear as if you have attached it correctly based on the instructions.

Good Luck

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....