Author Topic: Black Night 1/24th Alabatros DV  (Read 4215 times)

Offline RAGIII

Black Night 1/24th Alabatros DV
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:23:25 AM »
I just traded for this Vac kit. I don't remember any particulars so does anyone know what is included. White metal details? Struts? etc.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Black Night 1/24th Alabatros DV
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »
   Rick,
I know that the Sanger WW II kits do include white metal details so I would assume so do their WW I kits as well. Then again sometimes assuming is a dangerous thing to do. Congratulation on your great score my old friend. Please post a build thread for us once you're rolling.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:08:30 AM »
   Rick,
I know that the Sanger WW II kits do include white metal details so I would assume so do their WW I kits as well. Then again sometimes assuming is a dangerous thing to do. Congratulation on your great score my old friend. Please post a build thread for us once you're rolling.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Thanks Gregory. I found an old thread on Brit Modeler and the kit does come with some basic white metal parts. I will do a build thread. My idea is to use the WNW kit as a guide for scratching details, formers etc.
RAGIII

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
  Rick,
Outstanding idea my old friend. Sounds like the beginning of one awesome project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
Woooooo-Hooooooooo!   ;D ;D ;D

Another vac.  Pictures please!!!  8)

Dan

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
I have this in my pile of never going to be finished builds from decades ago. Struts and cabales and U/C legs are plastic vacform best reinforced with wire. The Engine cylinders are white metal, rather basic but at the time seemed much better. It's a challenge but one I'm sure you can hack.

I'd actually started superdetailing the basics with what limited knowledge Ihad back then. It certainly looks like an Albie. I also got the SE5a at the same time, both are in a sorry state of unfinishedness.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
I have this in my pile of never going to be finished builds from decades ago. Struts and cabales and U/C legs are plastic vacform best reinforced with wire. The Engine cylinders are white metal, rather basic but at the time seemed much better. It's a challenge but one I'm sure you can hack.

I'd actually started superdetailing the basics with what limited knowledge Ihad back then. It certainly looks like an Albie. I also got the SE5a at the same time, both are in a sorry state of unfinishedness.

Keith

Keith,
 Thanks for the info. I must say that if a modeler with your talents stalled, it puts a little fear in my intentions to finish the kit  :-[
Remember folks I often take a year or more to finish an injection kit so this will not be a speed build !
RAGIII

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
Oh I didnt give up because it was too much, actually building the interior was quite fun. I just didnt have the knowledge or know how back then.

So don't worry I gave up because it was too daunting, I was mainly modelling Armour back then, but due to a love of the albie brought about by Airfix many moons ago I couldnt resist. If I hadn't butchered so much  I'd be tempted to see what I could do with this myself..

I'm looking forwards to your thoughts when you get it in your hands and see what you make of it as you build.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 02:45:41 AM »
I'm looking forwards to your thoughts when you get it in your hands and see what you make of it as you build.

Keith

Got the kit this morning. My thoughts, "What was I thinking" ::) I am currently wondering if their are any alternative motors, mgs etc. from lets say the Marcos Miniatures Pfalz DIII that someone might be able to cast a copy so I don't have to scratch build the block for the engine and use the rather crude MGS.
RAGIII

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:56:26 AM »
  Rick,
I was wondering if the details parts were as crude as those of the WW II subjects from Sanger are. Truly they're borderline awful. Sorry I can't help you with an alternative engine. The best I can do is to offer you a 1/32 scale ID Models Albatros D.V if you're interested. Certainly plenty of aftermarket goodies available for this kit.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »
  Rick,
I was wondering if the details parts were as crude as those of the WW II subjects from Sanger are. Truly they're borderline awful. Sorry I can't help you with an alternative engine. The best I can do is to offer you a 1/32 scale ID Models Albatros D.V if you're interested. Certainly plenty of aftermarket goodies available for this kit.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Gregory, I hope that was a joke  ::) I will get this going with some pictures soon. I guess starting with those parts I know I can make is the direction I am going to go. One thing is usable, the Seat looks ok :) I will be looking for methods to use to get cross sections for the engine block in the meantime. I am sure there are those here who will be very helpful.
RAGIII

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 12:44:43 AM »
  Rick,
I wasn't joking at all my old friend. I was offering you a ID Model Albatros if you were interested.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 02:22:35 AM »
  Rick,
I wasn't joking at all my old friend. I was offering you a ID Model Albatros if you were interested.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Sorry Gregory no offense intended! I think in 1/32nd I will stick with WNW. My intention was to go a little larger so the Black Night kit is the way to go. I am over my moment of sheer panic now, More or Less  :-\ Once I finish the Model Cellar Figure, and re rig my SPAD, I will dive into this one.
RAGIII

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 02:33:53 AM »
   Rick,
Not to worry my old friend no offense taken in the slightest. Looking forward to seeing your Vac Albie project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 01:01:15 AM »
A small update. I have found an old friend has the Marcos DV. So.... I will save some scratch building due to his casting abilities :-)
RAGIII