Author Topic: top wing attachement tips  (Read 2047 times)

Offline michael

top wing attachement tips
« on: March 24, 2013, 02:26:39 AM »
with the attachement of the top wing of my pup just over the horizon i was wondering whats the best method of doing this?

do you fit dry then run thin glue around the struts, or put glue into the female part of the join then fit the struts. is it best to have the plane upside down or right way up?

or any other ways for this job, and whats the best glue to use?

sorry for the long list

any tips for this will be much appreciated  ;)

cheers
michael

“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Graham t

Re: top wing attachement tips
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
For me it really depends upn the model & the "integrity" of the cabane arrangement as what I prefer to do is install the cabane struts & when thoroughly set mount the top wing to them using drops of CA (super glue).  Once this is thoroughly dry, I slip in the interpane struts one at a time with a drop of CA on each end.   You need to be careful to avoid getting CA on the paint finish.  As it's a WNW kit you're working on the cabane is probably pretty well self aligning (I have the kit but haven't built it yet), so this method will probably work well.  I know a lot of modellers use the "inverted" method but I prefer it "right way up".  HTH!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:23:30 AM »
Each modeler has his/her own method for attaching the top wing, what works for one does not work for another, so you use the method that you feel comfortable with. Here is the way I fix my top wings, it has always worked well for me, so far.

Firstly, I check the fit of each strut into the holes in the wings to make sure that they are going to be a good snug fit, the holes may need to be enlarged slightly and make sure all paint is removed from the holes and the pins. I fit the struts to the bottom wing and the cabane struts to the fuselage ensuring that they are at the correct angle, I run a straight edge along the top of the struts to make sure they are aligned properly. I also fit all the rigging attachment points to both top and bottom wing whether it be eyelets or turnbuckles. I place the top wing upside down on my bench with appropiate packing under the wing to retain the dihedral if there is any, I then invert the model and sit it onto the top wing, you may need to pack under the tail to keep the model level. I align all the struts so they fall into the holes in the top wing, at this point they should all be sitting nicely in the holes and sitting home. Once I am happy with the positioning I apply a small drop of runny CA around each strut, the runny CA will run into the hole and around the pin giving a very solid bond. I usually start from the cabane struts and work my way outward making sure each strut is firmly held into the hole before the glue is applied. Super Glue dries very quick, in a matter of seconds, but I leave the model in the inverted position for at least an hour to make sure the glue has fully cured.

I then turn the model onto it's wheels and rigging can commence, I use mono as my rigging so this adds a great deal for strength to the wing assembly, some struts can be very flimsy hence weak.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline michael

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
Graham and Des many thanks for the quick replys thats very helpfull  :)

cheers
michael

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »
Yes,  I use the same method as Des, seems to work ok for me, although you do sometimes have to give one or two of the struts a little nudge to get the pins to drop in to the holes.

Cheers

Pete.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:41:07 AM »
Michael,
   I use the same method as Des for most as far as cabanes first, then the wing struts in sequence. I do use a Biplane assembly jig on some (most of the WNW Kits seem to be "self aligning" given the snug fit of the cabanes at minimum) I also use thin CA to cement the struts and prefer to work "right side up". Something that I have found to be of great use is a simple styrene template for the tops of the cabanes; I use the upper wing strut holes as the reference and find this much easier to work with then the wing itself to ensure the cabanes are properly aligned and spaced. Here's a couple of old shots from a previous Build:

Once the lower attachments of the cabanes are cemented in the proper positions I find the rest is relatively easy, doing as Des describes the wing struts one at a time in a left, matching right side, next left, and so on.

Everyone works out their own methods or combinations of many, hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline michael

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:20 AM »
Great stuff Pete and Lance thanks for help  :)

michael

Offline gcn

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
It is the moment I dread the most. Is everything level, are the struts in the correct hole, will it fit.

I have to say i'm happier once the top wing is on.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »
It is the moment I dread the most. Is everything level, are the struts in the correct hole, will it fit.

I have to say i'm happier once the top wing is on.

My feelings exactly, although until my Bristol Fighter experience, my top wings have always gone on without any issue. With the disaster I experienced with my Bif though, I'll be approaching the job with even more trepidation from hereon in.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
Hi All

Looks an interesting tool LindsayT.

Like so many here I approach things with trepidation, not least when it came to putting the upper wing on my beloved Eduard Brisfit.  Not just the twelve points of contact to worry about but I  suppose like others I seemed to have a forest of E Z line rigging hanging from their upper wing attachment points determined to search out glue wherever they could find it (at least until I decided to tack them out of the way with masking tape on the upper surface of the upper wing).

My guess is that each aircraft model may pose its own challenges and, maybe each modeller will have their own preferred approaches. Painful experience has suggested some ground rules for me but I would say that the most important top wing attachment tip is to invest lots of time getting the bottom wing attached correctly the fuselage - and isn't that exciting with the Brisfit! Looking back on things I seem to have had the most difficulty with upper wing attachments when the lower wings were slightly out of true. A small error at lower wing level seems to magnify the upper wing problem.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline michael

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 01:15:34 AM »
I know i will be a lot happier when i ger the top win on  ::)

that gadget looks interesting Lindsay - £28 though sounds a bit steep !

cheers guys

michael

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 02:56:56 AM »

that gadget looks interesting Lindsay - £28 though sounds a bit steep !

michael

Must admit - they were at East Mid's on the little cars stand and I picked one up ... and put it back down again for the same reason.

I'm sure it's a fab' bit of kit, and the right tool for the job is of course priceless - but I think I'll wait a while before I consider that sort of an investment.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline DaveM

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »
Bought one of those at the show Sunday, haven't unpacked it yet,but it looks pomising.Sorry didn't have time to speak earlier Andi,and feck me,got a ticket from the red banded parking vulture to boot!

Dave

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
"A Ticket" ......... OH NO!!!! ................... that was one very expensive bunch of flowers you were holding! You must of been a very bad boy to have bought the missus flowers anyway ............. can you spell Karma!!?

Speak soon no doubt.
KBO ............. Andi.