Author Topic: Morane-Saulnier type N ...(Special Hobby-1/32).  (Read 19671 times)

Offline Andi Little

Morane-Saulnier type N ...(Special Hobby-1/32).
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:01:28 AM »
Well here we are chaps .................

I've been threatening it ... bottled it on a 1/48th Albatros DV - waaaay too small as yet, I'm used to 1/24th remember?

But, after a little nudge this finally arrived in the post ................

TaDaah!

Bought on the strength of recommendation from the home page - and having inspected it - "good advice I'd say".   it is large enough for someone like me - oafish and best part blind, but it has good strong detail. Not so much that you'd be overwhelmed but more than enough to make an attractive little model pretty much out the box I'd say - for any other "newbies" reading this I got this for £25 inc' postage. There's enough in the box to qualify for several weeks entertainment so I was more than happy at that.
I've had a look around the net etc and there doesn't seem that much about this kit regards any build threads - I'd be glad to be proved wrong on that - found a few bit's of stuff to get me started though so I'd best have at it!

Anybody feel the need to jump in with advise, crit's or just an opinion? Please do, feel free ... I'd be happy - neigh...grateful to hear from you.

Cheers for now then ........................ updates to follow as they appear..............

Please be gentle with me!
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline gcn

Re: Morane-Saulnier type N ...(Special Hobby-1/32).
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
I remember a build review of this a few years ago in a magazine and I think their major complaint was the lack of the MS logo to go on the cowling. IIRC they made one from scrap brass.

Looks a nice kit with lost of lovely weathering to be had.

Enjoy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:25:34 AM »
Hi Andi.  Here's a link to the build log I followed when I built this kit:

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=138341&page=1

I checked this, and the photos appear to be missing now, at least on my computer.  At least the text might highlight any build issues.  Good luck!  You'll do just fine.

Regards,

Bob

Offline michael

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:31:47 AM »
Good luck with your build Andi i will be following you closely

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline janh

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:10:43 AM »
Hi Andi.  Here's a link to the build log I followed when I built this kit:

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=138341&page=1

I checked this, and the photos appear to be missing now, at least on my computer.  At least the text might highlight any build issues.  Good luck!  You'll do just fine.

Regards,

Bob
sadly the photo's are gone any chance of reuploading them?? Please

Offline Graham t

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:52:31 AM »
Crack on with it - I've got the RFC version of this kit & will be watching with interest! 8)

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:29 AM »
Janh:  The photos would have to be reuploaded by the modeler who created the build log, I think, and that was a fellow named Dave Cox over on Aeroscale about four years ago.  The photos were there a year ago when I built my Morane.  If anyone could give an assist with this, I'm sure it would be aoppreciated.

regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:37:43 AM »
Great choice Andi, this is a great kit and builds up to be a beautiful model. This was one of the first kits I built when I got into WW1 modeling and found it to be a very enjoyable build. Even though it is a mono there is still a bit of rigging to do, but it is all fairly straight forward. I made my own logo for the cowl but as Red has said they are available from Toms Model Works. I will be following your build closely and hope to see some progress photos soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
My favorite monoplane!  Excellent choice, Andi.  This will be a fun build for you.  I've built a few Special Hobby kits and I love 'em, but be sure to test fit regularly.  In spite of the quality, it is, after all, a limited run kit.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline petero

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
Here's a build article over on Large Scale Planes:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=13056

There aren't a lot of pics, but at least they're there  :)

Peter

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:24 AM »
nice kit, which turns out good with a bit of work. wouldnt mind doin another one someday.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:34 AM »
Hey all.....................

Well, not exactly an Earth shattering update. Perhaps more of a "see, I was serious"? Mind you we'll see how long that lasts.
I've spent an inordinate amount of time fannying about with this little sideframe, although in mine own defence a lot of the time was collating enough info' to get started, and also trying to make sense of a build strategy ... what all the very strange little objects are - and how important they might be?
I get now how frustrating it was for guys to come onto a car forum and say "what's a carburettor"? ....... only to be shouted down and ridiculed [not that I'm guilty of that but I've seen it happen].

So, anyhoo .................... managed to make a start. I know I'm not going to make the mistake of trying to compete with you's guy's. But I am going to try and emulate what I see on these pages, eyes and hands are struggling to make the transition to a different [smaller] scale ................. but here we go.............

As mentioned nothing Earth shattering: but I discovered that the cockpit framing is actually made up of "lugged tubing" rather than wood'n'wire which I've been admiring everywhere.
So, been busy substituting the squary bits with roundy bits. The "lugging" is a bit coarse but this is a trial run right -"right"?
As mentioned also there's a lot of figuring out what the kit makers done - and what you might do different??? I'm sure it'll all become more familiar??

Hopefully something a bit more exciting next time - till then then!!.

Ps ................. Soz' about the pic' ... Camera's not finding the transition too easy either - obviously.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »
Very impressive for your first foray into WWI aircraft modeling, Andi.  Most folks (myself, included :-[)  Would be content to simply paint up the kit framing and slap it in.  I can see by the extra effort you applied early on, that this will be a very fine build.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 02:48:57 AM »
Andi,
   It's the extra bits and efforts that make a difference between a "just a model" and a fine build. I see you are working on a project for the latter category, and it's looking mighty fine. Looking forward to more progress from you.
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:52:47 AM »
Nice start, you'll have the microscope out in no time ;)