Author Topic: Diorama figures  (Read 1754 times)

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
Diorama figures
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
Ok, I've been over all the forum catagories, and I guess this one seemed most appropriate for my topic. If not, please point me in the right direction.

I've noticed quite a lot of interest in figures, or lack of, in this particular genre, especially in the 1/32 arena, and have made an interesting observation. As most, who have read my profile or saw my "Time To Relax" posts, will realize, I love to create dioramas. This is where I, in particular, run into issues. Lack of naturally posed figures. As I surfed the web looking for anything that might substitute for WWI, in both 1/32 & 1/35 scale, it occurred to me why this may be.

During the early part of the 20th Century, photography was still a novelty. Most film footage from the WWI era shows soldiers hamming it up for the camera. Pilots were most often shown posing with their aircraft, looking noble and dapper in their state of the art flying machines and new-fangled gear. Like intrepid adventurers.

Now jump 25 years to WWII. The camera is no longer the novelty it once was. The Germans, especially, recognized it as a fantastic propoganda and documentation tool. Whole units are built around photography, air, land, and naval. The cameras themselves became less cumbersome. Very "man-portable", if you will.

This may be why we see so many "stiff" figures from WWI. All the figure makers have to really go by are the few photos that still exist. Whereas the WWII modeller has any number of different figures, because the figure sculpters have a seemingly endless supply of photos depicting any number of different poses.

That doesn't even include the fact that equipment and uniforms had to make a rapid transition from 19th Century standards of war, to the new "mechanized destruction" that was WWI. By WWII, machinery was a normal part of warfare. Gone were the bright, proud, colorful uniforms. Horses were replaced, first by aircraft and eventually by the tank. So many variations in such a short time.

As an American, it gets a little worse. Although we entered the war on the tail end, our equipment and uniform changed from the time we embarked, until we reached the front. Our helmets were British, our machine guns British and French, our aircraft French, etc... We boarded the ships wearing campaign, (Boy Scout), hats and entered the trenches wearing borrowed British steel helmets.

That alone made me realize, that if someone can develop a series of figures, in multiple poses, and gear, they may be able to fill a niche that, in my opinion, is sadly lacking.

Just curious to know what others may think.

:)
Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Diorama figures
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
Very interesting topic you have started Joe and one that has been tossed around for quite a while. We all know that Wingnut's have been promising a series of WW1 aviation figures for well over two years now, when they will eventually see the light of day is anyones guess. At the moment there are four or five guys who are delving into WW1 figures and vehicles all aimed at WW1 aviation and mainly in 1:32 scale, Brian Fawcett has already released some figures and of special note are the two RFC guys working on a lewis gun on a work bench, quite good poses and excellent equipment, also his Fee Crew which are brilliant.

A lot of figures which are alread available are very'"statue" like, just guys standing with no real purpose, these were probably based on what you were saying about photos from WW1 where the pilots stood beside their aircraft for a photo. The new figures which are in the pipe line are of a more realistic pose, pilots sitting in their aircraft, mechanics swinging the prop and other ground crew members carrying out normal daily duties.

There are a lot of movie films of WW1 aviation scenes so stills could be taken from these movies to capture the action poses portrayed by the people involved, these would make excellent figures for a diorama. Gone are the days when a figure was just a blob of plastic and no real defining features, we expect only the best these days, the figures must compliment the aircraft and show as much detail as the aeroplane model, he is to look realistic and must be doing something. A lot of time and effort is put into building a model of a WW1 aircraft so I imagine the builder would put as much time and effort into presenting an action figure.

The coming months will see big leaps forward in the production of WW1 aviation figures, and the more the better, this is an area of modeling that has been neglected for far too long. If you look in the What's New board you will find at least two topics regarding figures and vehicles to suit 1:32 scale WW1 aviation dioramas, Brian Fawcetts figures are also featured in the Product Review board, his Fee Crew figures are excellent and would look perfect in a dio scene along with the two RFC guys.

If we all hold our breath for long enough maybe Wingnuts will finally release their elusive figure range.

Des.

PS. This is the perfect place Joe to start your topic
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:21:11 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
Hi

As someone recently returned to modelling and who has always loved dioramas, I've been surprised at how slow the response in the market  has been to fill this void. I became interested again in WW1 planes when i came across the world of 'toy soldiers' (which is also flourishing) and the 'Knights of the Sky' series by John Jenkins (check seirra soldiers website for a look) - this is in 1/30 scale, but its worth checking out the figures, buildings (I'm considering whether the German aircraft hanger could be used in 1/32....), gear (such as a refueilling wagon) and vehicles in the line just to see what could be done. Many of these figures are in 'action' poses and I've often wishes that the modelling world had similar offerings (as opposed to a near endless supply of 1/35 Germans (I see one of the latest is a tank crew playing a 'relaxing game of football!). I'm sure this is on the cusp of changing but I concur with the idea of 'natural' figures doing things, as opposed to standing woodenly next to their plane.  As an aside, has anyone managed to get hold of the ModelKasten figures - I tried but it seems they are only for internal consumption at this stage - there are a couple of good mechanics I would love to use.  cheers

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:35:51 AM »
Thanks Des, for letting me know I'm in the right place. For once, my common sense worked!  :D

I've been following Brian Fawcett's work very closely, as I loved the Lewis crew and was astounded by the Fee crew. I've also noticed a few others that have posted polls, questions, etc... about WWI figures. I'm thinking that the idea of naturally posed figures is starting to build some momentum. I was discussing this same thing with a friend a few days ago, and he brought something up that maybe our European members can answer for me.

My friend is an American Civil War re-enactor and has posed in his 42nd New York Volunteers Zouave uniform for a painter named Dan Nance. By using a re-enactor in period correct reproduction uniform, it allowed Mr. Nance to get the little nuances right. How the shadows fell, how the gear sat on the body, what got dirty, how items were grasped, etc...

For most obvious reasons, Americans re-enact everything from, (as we know it), the French and Indian War up through our Civil War, only because evrything else was fought somewhere else. It would be a little silly to re-enact the Battle of the Argonne Forest in a park in New Jersey.

How popular is re-enacting the Great War? I would assume, with the 100th anniversary of the beginning of hostilities coming up, that it would be fairly popular. Especially given the astounding number of casualties suffered by all. I'm just wondering if people wearing yesterdays uniforms, captured by todays digital cameras, might make for a more detailed and precise rendering of fit, colors, etc...

On a side note, after reading some of the articles about the airfields of the time, it would appear that you could scratchbuild anything, and it would be accurate. Hangars, repair sheds, etc... seemed to be built as an afterthought. Not to mention the fact that companies, such as Northeastern Scale Lumber, make just about anything of any scale in wood, and given enough interest, I'd be more than willing to post a tutorial on building a scale wall, or even small building, trench wall, etc...

:)

Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
I'd be more than willing to post a tutorial on building a scale wall, or even small building, trench wall, etc...

Ooooh...yes, please!

Offline michael

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
Iwill second Lindsay on that i cant get enough tutorials-the more the better Joe.

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”