Author Topic: " Meet my Fokker ...problem !"  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Hugger61

• Nemo me Impune Lacessit
" Meet my Fokker ...problem !"
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
I took the family to the" Stampe en Vertongen Museum"  at Antwerp Airport  yesterday afternoon !

http://www.stampe.be/UK/IndexUK.html

...  and offcourse upon leaving , we had to pass the ...."inevitable  museum shop"  ::) !

Now besides loads of books, the elderly gentleman who ran the shop (on a volutary base) seemed to stack an impressive amount of WW1 airplane models ... amongst them Roden and Academy modells. We started talking and it seemed the gentleman was a keen modeller to ! What struck me were the ludicrous low prices he charged !! He explained the museum ran mostly on sponsering and and on the spare time ( and effort) of  voluteers like himself who were willing to offer their free time. He explained that should they charge more ...no one would be interested ! when I'm talking about low prices I mean 15 euro for instance, for the Academy Nieuport 17 on 1/32th scale !  ... I noticed he also had the " Manfred Von Richthofen" 1/28 th  Fokker D1 from Revell ! ... 18 euro ! I know it is an old model, but still the size off the scale made me quiet curious !! So into my wallet I went !

... Once at home when I had unrapt the box and had opened it , my first impression was one of sheer disappointment . The more I looked at the hideous  heap of ...red plastic the more this sentiment grew. So in hoping to "save some of the furniture", I  started scavenging the internet to find some posts of "fellow modellers" who in the past had been able to make something descent out of  ... this ...THING ? I must say ... I was able to find a few interesting posts which gave me the feeling all had not been lost yet !

Since there are quiet a few things   that need to be altered, reshaped  or ...rebuild from scratch ... " Googling" taught me that a British based company Copperstatemodels provided some extra's ( f.e. resin spandau's photoetch etc ) for this particular model to make it more presentable and realistic !

I have a question concerning the company  what's  the story about this company at the moment ? I mean do they still exist ? I found posts on fora assuming that the company was out off buissiness and the website domain up for sale ... then I stumbled upon  this link ...

http://copperstatemodels.com/index.php?p=HOMEPAGE&m=HOMEPAGE

... Has the company been taken over and is this their actual homepage ...it doesn't give a lot of information about the products  and seems brand new...

... now again ... I am a novice into " ww1 airplane modeling" and I don't know "who is who" yet in this particular modelling world   ...but I was just wondering if my "Fokker altering" problem could be solved ... perhaps ( and most likely) the owner(s) is (are)" forum members" as well and in that case my sincere apologies for my ignorance...  it just wasn't clear to me   :-[

PS  ... I was planning of making the Jasta 11(August 1917) version which I find far more attractive (just my opinion !) than the "Red Baron" version

Hugh
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:01:29 PM by Hugger61 »
"When over the enemy's lines never forget your own line of retreat ..."
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-

Offline Vickers

Re: " Meet my Fokker ...problem !"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »
Copper State Models was created by Eric Hight in Phoenix, Arizona. A couple of years ago, he sold his remaining stock and all his materials to another company.  It has not been clear whether this new firm will re-release the items, but I have always been impressed with CSM p/e and decals and the prices were very reasonable.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »
A nice collectors item I suppose but a pretty outdated kit. Depending on where your interest lies, a better starting point might be the Encore version of Roden's 1/32 Dr.I (actually the boxing is for an F.I but everything you need for a Dr.I is in there.) The box contains some nice resin goodies to enhance and correct the several flaws of the Roden kit, also two PE frets (interior details, Spandau barrel jackets, etc) and a resin figure of Voss. And from that starting point a world of 1/32 aftermarket bits opens up ...

Offline Hugger61

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »
A nice collectors item I suppose but a pretty outdated kit. Depending on where your interest lies, a better starting point might be the Encore version of Roden's 1/32 Dr.I (actually the boxing is for an F.I but everything you need for a Dr.I is in there.) The box contains some nice resin goodies to enhance and correct the several flaws of the Roden kit, also two PE frets (interior details, Spandau barrel jackets, etc) and a resin figure of Voss. And from that starting point a world of 1/32 aftermarket bits opens up ...

You're absolutely right Bo, ... and I could have kicked myself when I saw the content of what I'de bought... still I will try to make something out of it, and if not the case, the  modell can allways still come in youseful, when practicing ou trying out different painting techniques ... anyway ... first lesson learned   :-[ !

Hugh
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
Hugh,
    You may already know this however if you keep an eye on the supplier (Squadron Shop) this Kit often goes on sale, I got mine at $25-30 off as I recall. I haven't built it yet however it looks great in the box and, as Bo said, some very nice resin parts included.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Hugger61

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »
Hugh,
    You may already know this however if you keep an eye on the supplier (Squadron Shop) this Kit often goes on sale, I got mine at $25-30 off as I recall. I haven't built it yet however it looks great in the box and, as Bo said, some very nice resin parts included.
Cheers,
Lance

Cheers Lance ! ...  allready put their Home page link  on my favourites list  ;) !

Hugh
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-

Dekenba

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
Copper State Models are back up and running - sort of - in the UK.

Having said that, the advice to grab an Encore 1/32 kit instead is sound!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »
First I can agree with the others that the encore offering is the best larger scale offering. Now as for the OLD Revelle 1/28th kit. Machine guns in PE can be found by Photo Cut. If you cant find the email address I will look it up. Fred Hultberg,Not sure on the spelling,is the owner and is happy to sell the PE parts. As for the rest, the kit is shaped well overall. A little sanding on the undersurface to get rid of the scallops from the ply. (Not Present on the real aircraft), and of course, plan on scratchbuilding the interior. Not as difficult as it sounds as most is tubing and boxes. !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Hugger61

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
First I can agree with the others that the encore offering is the best larger scale offering. Now as for the OLD Revelle 1/28th kit. Machine guns in PE can be found by Photo Cut. If you cant find the email address I will look it up. Fred Hultberg,Not sure on the spelling,is the owner and is happy to sell the PE parts. As for the rest, the kit is shaped well overall. A little sanding on the undersurface to get rid of the scallops from the ply. (Not Present on the real aircraft), and of course, plan on scratchbuilding the interior. Not as difficult as it sounds as most is tubing and boxes. !
RAGIII

... I presume this is this the company and gentleman you mean ... ?

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/lane/FOTOCUT/FOTOCUT.htm

Thanks  a lot RAG for pointing me in the right direction   ;) !

Hugh
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-

mike in calif

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:32:28 AM »
That is indeed for Fred Hultberg, the resident wizard at Fotocut.

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Have fun with your purchase! Pretend it's 1960 and break out the tube glue, paint brushes, and black thread! Build it out of the box and sanding the seams are optional! ;D

Offline Hugger61

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »
Have fun with your purchase! Pretend it's 1960 and break out the tube glue, paint brushes, and black thread! Build it out of the box and sanding the seams are optional! ;D

;D ... I will ! ...the fokker will have to stay on the shelf for the time being though !! ... I just ordered my first" Wingnut kit"...  the Junkers J1 ... ! This has become a tough disision ... just couldn't make up my mind  what would become my first build ... the Encore Fokker F1 (Voss), "Bo" suggested, was winning the ordeal by far, ...  until last week  ... when then the Junker's came more in my line of sight. Since this kit is  regarded as a "nice" (speaking of understatement)  and "easy going"kit,   I gathered that choosing a "straight forward" model wich shouldn't  present  not to much off a hazzard (frustration)  would be quite sensible ....  Further more since" Des", lists the Junkers J1 amongst the more suitable for "novice's"  challenges", ... who am I, to "doubt the master"  ;D ...  and I guess saying, that I like the "ugly muck" of the Junkers, stands for something as well

The Encore Fokker F1  is sure to follow !

Grtz
Hugh
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-