Author Topic: Miniature Brass Tubing/Copper Wire  (Read 3504 times)

Offline ward

Miniature Brass Tubing/Copper Wire
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
Hi All-
  I am trying to find a source for miniature copper wire and brass tubing for turnbuckles and engine detailing. I've been on the JBmodel site and they have the nickel silver stuff in the .3mm size but I haven't seen brass. Can anyone share their sources with me?  Thanks in advance!                                                                     Jeff

Offline IanB

Re: Miniature Brass Tubing/Copper Wire
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »
Albion Alloys in the UK has brass, nickel silver, and aluminium tube down to .3mm x .1mm (OD-ID) as well as a whole host of other useful stuff....
http://www.albionalloys.co.uk/

Ian

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »
Here's an option that worked..................

I was struggling like yourself and Pete from Nottingham shared this link with me...........

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxshop.php

Search down the left hand side for Griffon Models - proceed there and search down for "brass tubing" - Not too scary price-wise - postage was very reasonable and my order arrived within 48hrs.
They had all I wanted in stock and a great choice ... had a little look around since and haven't found anywhere better yet - so you can take that as a recommendation.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline gcn

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:51:32 AM »
For thin copper wire take apart a Cat5 cable and use the cable from that. That should keep you going for a few years.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:24:42 AM »
If you are looking for a US supplier, Sprue Bros carries the Albion stuff...

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:41:29 AM »
If you are looking for a US supplier, Sprue Bros carries the Albion stuff...

Do you know? I hadn't even considered that!! ............... And in acknowledgement: I've just been and made sure there's no confusion as to my location - and put in my age too, but I am assuming most have twigged I'm a geezer?

If nothing else as a courtesy to those that would like to know to whom it is they're talking to - "oo-er get him"!
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:31:50 AM »
I have found www.luckymodel.com to be excellent both with stock and price, and they have free post. Their site is a bit hard to navigate but if you type in Griffon then scroll through the Griffon range you will come across the brass tube.

As far as small copper wire, strip any type of electrical cable and you will find all different sizes of copper wire, the cables used for computers, printers, phones, rechargers all contain very small wire, the smallest I have found is 0.07mm which is tiny. A lot of these IT cables can be picked up at the two dollar shops and contain enough wire to last you a life time.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kinnies

• Biggles flies low
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »
I can only agree with Griffon Models - luckymodels also has free shipping :D - just ordered a bunch of packs.

I also got lead wires, which come in handy for all sorts of piping etc. from UMM.

Cheers,
John

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 05:39:21 AM »
I can only agree with Griffon Models - luckymodels also has free shipping :D - just ordered a bunch of packs.

I also got lead wires, which come in handy for all sorts of piping etc. from UMM.

Cheers,
John

You can get small guage lead wire in spools from sports fishing suppliers, commonly used for fly tying etc. In Canada/USA Cabellas has it in their on-line listings. Handy stuff, got this from fellow member Chris Johnson.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
luckymodels also has free shipping :D

Hey John,

I thought luckymodels had free shipping, too but when I go to their site now it shows a shipping cost calculated. Not onerous, but more than free, which is my favourite price. Are you doing some sort of Internet alchemy to get the free shipping?

LT

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
I just ordered some more brass tube from Lucky Model and it was free shipping by air, maybe it depends on the country you live in (I'm in Australia)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 11:08:29 PM »
I can confirm the same for Germany - free shipping for Griffon brass tubes via air mail from LM.

Stefan

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 04:13:46 AM »
I ordered some tubing from Historex yesterday, 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 mm as I am almost out of those sizes.  My order has been dispatched today so should arrive very soon...

Offline kinnies

• Biggles flies low
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
Hi LT,
From what I recall,  Griffon products are shipped free and perhaps other products. But most other items are not shipped free.
John

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 05:45:06 AM »
I ordered some tubing from Historex yesterday, 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 mm as I am almost out of those sizes.  My order has been dispatched today so should arrive very soon...

The tubes duly arrived today, ordered on Sunday, sent out on Monday.  I will use the 0.3mm inside 0.5mm to represent spark plugs on my latest build...