Author Topic: Belgian Markings  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Hugger61

• Nemo me Impune Lacessit
Belgian Markings
« on: March 16, 2013, 03:04:05 PM »
 Last few day I've been scavenging the internet in search of Begian decals scale 1/32 th ...with no success  !!

Finding sets in the scale 1/48th seems to cause less off a problem   :-\ ! ... Perhaps I've overlooked it ...  I hope anyone of you guys can help !

Grtz,
Hugh
"When over the enemy's lines never forget your own line of retreat ..."
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-

Offline rhallinger

Re: Belgian Markings
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
Hi Hugh.  The only 1/32 set of WWI Belgian decals of which I am aware is a Spada sheet for a Sopwith Camel of Belgian AF Pilot Jan Oleislager, 1918.  I think it's OOP, but can sometmes be found on ebay or elsewhere.  A difficulty with using national insignia decals generically with WWI aircraft is that the roundels (or crosses) were usually painted on across the full chord of the wings, and this differed from type to type.  Makes it hard to use, for example, Sopwith Camel decals on a Nieuport, etc.  Some folks just use a circle cutter to make masks and paint the roundels in an appropriate size and nationality.

Good luck with your search!  Let us know what you find, as I am sure many (including me) are interested in modeling some Belgian aircraft and would prefer the relative ease of decals over cutting perfect circular masks. ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
Hello Hugh,

We have two decal sets which include Belgian options in 32nd scale, the Pfalz D.XII and the RE8 set numbers 32030 and 32038. Drop us an email for more information if you wish.

[email protected]

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Ooooops!  Egg on my face! :-[  Sorry I forgot about those sheets Rowan.  They're about the only ones of your's in 32nd that I don't have . . . yet. ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Hugger61

• Nemo me Impune Lacessit
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 05:34:32 AM »
Thank you guys for pointing me into the right direction !!

"cutting circles  to make masks and paint the roundels in an appropriate size" was certainly an option I had in mind  Bob !... but  I will first have a go at the  decal sets Rowan is proposing...and see how far I can go ... anyway thanks for the advice guys !! ... I had a look at "Pheon.models" site but must have missed it ...my apologies Rowan  :-[ !!

Learned something new allready ...I didn't know the Belgian Air Arm also used ... the Pfalz D.XII ...Then again as a "spoil of war" ...it kinda makes sense, using whatever  you can lay your hands on ! 

... will drop a mail Rowan !!

Regards,
Hugh
"When over the enemy's lines never forget your own line of retreat ..."
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:41:26 AM »
Hugh,
     If your're a fan of aircraft in black-yellow-red roundels (I am! ;D) there's a treasure trove to be found at www.belgian-wings.be
     I'm hoping a 1/32 Hanriot H.D.1 will be on WnW's Soon-to-be-released list.
     If all else fails, one can cut concentric circles from  solid-color decal material (use a compass on the BACK (paper) side of the decal sheet to avoid chipped edges) and apply as multi-layered decals. A little tedious, but one can obtain EXACT diameters needed, AND correct proportions for the "rings."
Regards from Texas, Rob