Author Topic: Handley Page 400 question. Please help.  (Read 857 times)

Offline Modelnut

Handley Page 400 question. Please help.
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »
I have painted the fuselage on my Airfix Handley Page 0/400. Tonight I was planning on decalling it before proceding with other assemblies. 

What has me confused is the instruction's call outs for the roundels. The tricolor roundel is stated for AFTER 1918, while the dark red and blue is stated for the conflict. I am used to seeing the tricolor roundel for the war. I thought the red and blue roundel was WW2. 

I want the war version on mine. Are Airfix's info correct?

Thanks in advance, Stan.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Handley Page 400 question. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:45:05 AM »
Funny, I was just thinking about this very point yesterday; I have am ancient barely-started kit and my worries are more to do with whether the decals will stand up to transferring. Anyway, I'm sure that one found red/blue roundels in WWI, on night fliers. Sometimes they simply painted out the white, quite crudely. But I've seen a number of pictures of red/blue two colour roundels, mostly on night fighters like the Sopwith Comic. Most of the pictures in the Datafile(s) show n3 colour roundels, of varying sizes, but as the war went on it seems 2 colour was preferred.
Please post some pics of your build if you have time!  :)
Mark

Offline IanB

Re: Handley Page 400 question. Please help.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »
I had a quick look through my copy of Vol 1 of the HP 0/400 DF and can't see any pics showing 2 colour fuselage roundels....not to say they weren't used though...

Ian