Author Topic: HGW micro fiber belts  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Frank Berger

HGW micro fiber belts
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »
Has anyone tried the HGW micro fiber seat belts and/or PE detail sets? What's the opinion on them?
Frank

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: HGW micro fiber belts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:01:38 AM »
Hi Frank
I have used HGW seatbelts on my Pfalz DIII and was very impressed with how realistic they looked. I like the natural way they drape, haven't been able to work PE belts as easily. The belts are a tight fit in the buckles but with patience they work just like the originals.

I would use them again - I am using them again on my Albatros DVa

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
Man, those belts sure look realistic and if they're easier to work with than PE belts, I'm going to invest in a few sets. Thanks for posting that image James.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Frank Berger

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »
James,
Thank you! They do look very nice. I used the Eduard PE ones on my D.Va and wasn't real happy on how they draped over the seat. I will definitely be looking to use them on future projects.
Frank

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:23:51 AM »
Their Definately the ducks Guts and a far cry from P/E stuff , I also struggle with the P/E parts . Where can these sets be found?

Sean

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
These look a lot better than the medical tape I've been mucking around with for my Dr.1 straps.....

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
Those look great. Coloured p/e belts are good looking but too fragile. Im going to track these down!!

Steve

Offline Frank Berger

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:29 PM »
Their Definately the ducks Guts and a far cry from P/E stuff , I also struggle with the P/E parts . Where can these sets be found?

Sean

Ducks guts is a new one on me!!! They have a store on E-Bay http://stores.ebay.com/HGW-Models I was checking it out and Des has the Battlefield site posted on the main ww1aircraftmodels.com page. I didn't realize at first that Battlefield was a main distributor for HGW. HGW have a web site also http://www.hgw.webgarden.cz/

Besides the seat belts and PE it looks like they have an extensive line of decals for lozenge, wood grain and CDL

Definitely going to try some of their product out.
Frank

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
Thanks for the links Frank, I'll have to have a good look at their stuff.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
I have used their seat belts quite a few times and I can honestly say they are brilliant. You need a very sharp scalpel blade to trim the belts, once they are trimmed to size threading the buckles onto the belts is quite easy. These belts are well worth the time it takes to assemble them, highly recommended.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
I guess there's no time better than now to try these out so I've ordered two sets of the S.E.5a belts. One for my current Roden project and the other for my WnW kit waiting in the wings.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »
Having just struggled with a set of springy pe belts on my current Encore DR1 build, I too think I will go for a set for my next German project.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:55:32 PM »
Those sound very good and I'm begining to think I should order a set for my Dr.1 project. I have never tried forming PE belts but having been dreading the thought.  :(

Paddy
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:23:52 AM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 03:32:58 AM »
OK, I’ve been surfing the HGW website trying to figure out which seat belt set to use with the Roden Dr.1. Does anyone know if item 32006 for the Albatros D.V/Va (WingnutWings/Roden)  have the proper look?  :-\

Thanks,
Paddy  :)
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Galloway

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 06:21:53 AM »
Hello all,

I also used the HGW seatbelts in my Pfalz D.IIIa and have only one complaint, (Hope their listening)? The only drawback is that the printing is only on one side of the belt..... only one way to pose your belts..... you can not have your shoulder belts thrown back over the turtle-deck  which is quite common in photos....

Ken

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"