Author Topic: Airfix RE8 1/72  (Read 1460 times)

Offline markleecarter

Airfix RE8 1/72
« on: March 06, 2013, 02:17:59 AM »
Hello everyone.

I did start this build in another more general forum but thought that it might sit better here as it is specifically WWI and that maybe I can get some help as I progress onto more tricky areas.

So I'm currently working on the very old Airfix RE8 which I received for Secret Santa at Christmas. The mould is from 1958 and interior detail is entirely non-existent so I thought it might be fun to see what I could do to add a bit more detail.

I've got a few biplanes in the stash but only ever finished 2 and this is my first in 1/72.

Looking at the Windsock plans it is clear that the kit is too long and too flat. Normally I wouldn't bother doing anything but as I was particularly put off by the distance between the pilot and observer, I took a chunk out it inbetween the two cockpits and just before gluing them together I improved the angle a little bit. It's not spot on but it's better and I still need to shorten the front cowling.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:31:21 AM by markleecarter »

Offline markleecarter

Re: Airfix RE8 1/72
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:21:37 AM »
Here is the interior which is almost entirely scratch built. The only aftermarket is the eduard straps but everything else is from the spares box or pits of string and sprue that was lying around. The seat is made from gold lace.

Offline markleecarter

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:25:31 AM »
And here it is buttoned up. THe instrument panel is plastic card with various bits from a broken watch as bezels with decals from a 1/72 spitfire inside and a drop of gloss for glass. You can also just make out some extratech pe lacing which stuck out far too much initially until I gouged out grooves for it to sit in. It looks ok but in future I don't think I'd bother with it.

The scarff ring is not the same as in the previous picture. I felt it was too deep so remade it from one I had that I think came from a Roden Brisfit.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:27:54 AM by markleecarter »

Offline markleecarter

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:35:41 AM »
And here is what I've been doing with the engine. The original kit just has an angled space to glue the cylinders onto, so I stuck them on a bit of plastic card and cut the cowling up to sit it more 'inside' the cowling than before. I also remade the airscoop because the kit one is far too thick, has no detail and doesn't really sit on top of the cyliders as it ought to. I have also added some wiring (whcih isn't finished) and somewhere for the prop to go.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »
Very nice work. Looking forward to the next update.

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »
Beautiful work, Mark!  You picked a toughy for your first 1/72 scale biplane, but you're certainly whipping her into shape.  Well on her way to being a silk purse.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »
How did you go with this project Mark?
It was looking very fine ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice