Author Topic: Roden 1/32  (Read 2076 times)

Online drdave

Roden 1/32
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
Which kits are worth a go. I have the albatross d 111 but didn't like the Fokker dr1 or pfalz.
What's the word on the spad 7 or Fokker d6 or Avis d8?

I like wnw but is it worth branching out? I know the decals  are useless !

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Roden 1/32
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »
   Dave,
You might consider Rodens Nieuport 28,it has no real vises and builds up wonderfully. Their SPAD VII also is an excellent kit but has a few issues. Check out Des's home site for the run down on building the SPAD and the Avis D.VIII/E.V as well. No doubts you certain could turn any of these kits into real showstoppers.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:16:51 AM »
Hi Dave - I have built all of the Roden 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kits and found them all to be quite buildable, yes, they need work some more than others but they do build up to be nice looking models. There has been a lot of criticism about the Roden Dh.2 and the Sopwith Triplane but I found both of them to be enjoyable builds. The decals, well, this is another story, but I have to say that I used all the Roden decals for each of their kits and found, with a lot of care, they are quite useable, I always use Mr Mark Softer on the surface before applying the decal and finish off with a blast from a hair dryer.

As you know I love adding detail, this applies to any kit not just Roden, so the amount of detailing is up to your own imagination. I have also built Academy, Special Hobby, Hobby Craft, Avis and Battle Axe kits all of which have been 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft, even the much maligned Battle Axe Fokker E.III turned out to be a great looking model. Wingnut kits are brilliant but if you want something with a bit more af a challenge go with one of the other kits.

Des.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:21:50 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:06:42 AM »
Dave,

I agree with Gregory, the N.28 has been the best one so far - relatively simple, uncomplicated kit that goes together pretty well.  I've almost finished the Fokker DVI - main problem is the engine and lower wing - engine needs a bit of work so that it rotates freely in the cowling.  Lower wing is poor fit - a fair bit of filing otherwise you end up with a distinct droop too it.  Decals have not been too bad but time consuming to apply.  Other than that, not a bad a kit.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Graham t

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »
I'm working on the Roden Pfalz DIII at the moment & using the WNW DIIIA instructions for aditional reference.  The plastic is softer & the interior detail in the cockpit for instance is not a patch on WNW.  However the engine is quite nicely detailed.  The issue for me is price; here in the UK Hannants sell the WNW DIIIA for £70 & the Roden DIII for £50.  On this basis the Roden kit is way overpriced IMHO!  I tend to pick up Roden kits (I also have their Albatros DIII & SSW DIII) from ebay at well below the UK retail price.

Offline Jan K

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
I'm working on the Roden Pfalz DIII at the moment & using the WNW DIIIA instructions for aditional reference.  The plastic is softer & the interior detail in the cockpit for instance is not a patch on WNW.  However the engine is quite nicely detailed.  The issue for me is price; here in the UK Hannants sell the WNW DIIIA for £70 & the Roden DIII for £50.  On this basis the Roden kit is way overpriced IMHO!  I tend to pick up Roden kits (I also have their Albatros DIII & SSW DIII) from ebay at well below the UK retail price.

Try modelimex, they sell most of the Roden kits about EUR 30~GBP 25.
http://modelimex.com/1-32-siemens-schuckert-d-iii

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »
Hi Dave

I'm not too far from completing the Roden Sopwith Triplane - when I can get a break from work.

My views are ambivalent on it. I've enjoyed the idea of having a Tripehound in my collection rather  more than building it. From the box I think it is relatively straightforward, if a bit clunky and bare in places: particularly the engine and the cockpit. For me the most interesting aspects of the build related to those things which I chose to  replace and enhance.  This included adding in my own clumsy way the Vector Clerget 9, Airscale instrument decals, Aeroclub instrument bezels and a set of Battlefield seatbelts. However, the most important change for me concerned the fuselage. I invested in the Pheon replacement parts because I wanted the longer production version rather than the short prototype fuselage Roden provide.

Straight from the box, it seems a quick build but  I suppose another major part of my grouse with it concerned the emptiness of the box despite what I considered to be a very high price - though I think I now understand some of the reasons for this.   

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline gcn

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »
Graham also try Ebay or Nordland where you can pick the Roden kits up for around £30 posted, which is closer to where their value lies IMO

Dekenba

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:06:14 AM »
Graham also try Ebay or Nordland where you can pick the Roden kits up for around £30 posted, which is closer to where their value lies IMO

This is sound advice - Nordland sell Roden cheaper than anywhere else I've seen and it's always worth searching EBay for 1/32 Roden.

Encore's 1/32 WWI stuff is also excellent value. They contain Roden's sprues but with loads of Eduard PE and some lovely resin.

Offline Jan K

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
I think modelimex.com is Roden's oficial representaion for Czech republic + I have got a nice discount there ater few buys. 8)
Try to ask them.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
Hi All

Does anyone know if there is a website for Encore Models? I haven't been able to find one and I'm interested to see what , if any, plans they have for the future based on the Roden stuff.

Best wishes
Nigel

Dekenba

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
I think Encore is a Squadron brand?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
I think Encore is a Squadron brand?

Yep...

Dekenba

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
I've picked up my three Encore 1/32's from EBay - £20 for the SE.5a and around £30 for the Albatros & Fokker Triplane.

They come up every know and again and are generally available from EBay in the US, although postage charges are high.

Dekenba

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:18 AM »
Two Encore kits on EBay UK for £35 + £5 postage - SE.5a & Albatros D.II