Author Topic: Best material for 1/32 interplane struts?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline rhallinger

Best material for 1/32 interplane struts?
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
Hello all!  I need some help and advice regarding the best material from which to fabricate the wing struts for my Lloyd C.V project.  The Lloyd had an unusual strut configuration (well, maybe not unusual for A-H aircraft ;))--rather than being perpendicular to the wing planes, the struts (three per side!) canted at about a 60 degree angle to the lower wing plane, looking like this:

(Thanks to Willi, aka miamiangler, for this shot of his gorgeous 1/48 Lloyd, which I--ahem--borrowed for illustrative purposes). :)

I need to decide what material to use for the interplane struts.  From photos and plans, they are not very wide nor thick, so a stiff material will be important.  Styrene strip might work, but might be too flexible in the appropriate cross section.  I have a pack of Strutz metal strut material, but it seems too small for 1/32, seems subject to bowing, and there is not nearly enough for this aircraft.  Right now, I am leaning toward using bamboo skewers sanded to appropriate shape and thickness.  It seems to be the right size, is plentiful and cheap, and appears to be stiff and maintains its straightness.  It would also likely accept brass wire in the ends without much fuss, to anchor the strut to the wings. 

What do you think?  Anyone have a better suggestion?  Anyone have any hints or tips for workind with bamboo?  I could also try basswood I suppose, but I just happened to have some skewers handy and they seemed to sand pretty well.  I recall reading somewhere about others who have used this material for interplane struts.  Any help or guidance will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

Re: Best material for 1/32 interplane struts?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
Oooops!  Got my photos mixed up. :o  That one's not Willi's, but is Peter Plattner's WKF-built Series 82 Lloyd.  They're both beauties!

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »
Contrail used to make airfoil shaped material but Im thinking you need a more load bearing material. There is some brass but Im not sure how small it gets.

Steve

Offline Jan K

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
Hallo, I'd use brass, larger pieces maybe some bras wires with balsa/extra thin paper fairings.

Try to look here  http://www.litomysky.cz/mat/msaero.htm

http://www.litomysky.cz/mat/indexan.htm

Best Regards
Jan

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:07:17 AM »
  Bob,
When I have need of scratch built struts I use balsa strips and thin wire. I cut the balsa strips to lenght and embed the wire with super glue followed by a second strip of balsa pressed down over the strip and wire. Be sure to allow extra lenght of wire for your attachment to the wings. With the basic assembly done just sand to shape and seal the balsa with additional coats of super glue. Once you're happy with the results stain or paint them to suit. The same technquie can be done using plastic strips rather than balsa too. Looking forward to seeing how your struts come out my friend,fantastic project by the way.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
depending on the section of them (if you know it of course) I'd be tempted tp use flattened brass tube, with a brass rod centre pin to fabricate the mountings possibly.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:56 PM »
you got 2 choices. the brass tube/steel wire method which you basically cut a piece of steel wire the right length and stick it inside a piece of 1/16" brass tube. crush this flat in a vice. use files to shape and prime/paint. but plastruct makes plastic sheathed steel rod. you just shape it with sanding sticks then strip the ends like an insulated electric wire and voila.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDM27

honestly i havent used it on a model yet but it will work great, i have spent 10 minutes shapeing struts out of the material. its even flexible if you wanted to use it for landing gear you can bend it into the right shape then shape the profile. ima use the stuff on my hansa c1 vac definately. if you want i'll drop a couple in the mail for you if you pm your addy to me. gotta mail gregory some photocopies anyway.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
Carve one of each strut thickness (maybe theyre all the same) - cast them for consistancy.

Steve

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »
Thanks to all for the massive response!  You've given me some worthy ideas, and I think I will pick out what seem like the "best" (i.e., combination of easiest and most seemingly effective) three or so and make a strut from each.  I think I already have on hand all of the materials suggested! ::)  Comes from having previously modeled O scale trains (1/48), which required building much from scratch or kitbashing. 

I will evaluate each technique and let you know the results.  I will have a little time to do this whilst the wood grain oils are drying on the wings. ;)  Four days drying time for each side inside the dust-proof box. :o 

Thanks again for all of the helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Bob

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
 Bob,
Looking forward to seeing your results. I forgot to mention yesterday there's a series of article in Windsock on detailing,one instalment dealt with making struts. Not sure of which issue it was in but one of 2012's.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
John Adams at Aeroclub may still sell Strutz,airfoil formed brass in a variety of sizes-I picked up a couple of packs a year or so ago,it worked well on 2 Blue Max builds recently.
Cheers,
Dave.