Author Topic: Some thoughts on CDL  (Read 2933 times)

mike in calif

Some thoughts on CDL
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
Rather than hi-jack Paddys build log, I thought to get some discussion going here. So, Paddys reply, quoting Zoran(Profa) with regard to Humbrol paint.
"I use different Humbrol paints for CDL, depending on scheme and the effect I want to achieve: 148 and 103 for German, also 71 is close, 74 for French, or Vallejo off-white for Pfalzes... Therefore you didn't miss a thing if you ordered some of listed... It's only that I find 103 the most appropriate shade for German CDL, and 148 for Eindeckers...

Hope I helped!

Best regards,
Profa a.k.a. Zoran"
 Well I have a tin of 74(now marked "French") and a tin of HB 16, which is the same color.
Humbrol 103 is cross referenced to the original MC 25, which I do not have, so I'll take that at face value.
Humbrol 71 is listed as "satin oak", but I can see where a drop or two of a yellow, grey, red or white will push the tone a bit.
   some other cross ref's would be useful, esp. for British planes, and others like the Pfalz.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Some thoughts on CDL
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
I used to always use Humbrol colours for my CDL, usually mixing a little white to various colours, but of late I have been using Gunze acrylics. They have some pretty good colurs which look good as CDL, here are three examples - 

H313 Yellow FS 33531
H318 Radome
H85 Sail color

These can be used as is or you can mix a bit of white to lighten them if so desired.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

mike in calif

Re: Some thoughts on CDL
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
Thanks Des. I'll party 'til my Humbrol runs out, then see what is around. Any issues shooting Humbrol over Gunze?