Author Topic: 32044 - Wartime Snipe selection and the Canadian Fokkers!  (Read 3200 times)

Offline rowan broadbent

32044 - Wartime Snipe selection and the Canadian Fokkers!
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:08 AM »
Well now, here's Maj.Barker's Snipe, E8102, plus two from 4sqn AFC. "A" E8050 flown by 4 Sqn's commander and leading snipe ace, Capt. Elwyn Roy "Bo" King, DSO DFC. and"X", E8082 which was flown by at least two 4 Sqn pilots to gain victories in October 1918,  2/Lt E.J. Richards on 26 Oct and Capt T.C.R Baker on 29 Oct. The blue nose was added by another, unfortunately unknown, pilot, possibly post-war while stationed at Bickendorf with the occupation forces. I'm greatly indebted to Brad Cancian for a very full history of this machine which he generously gathered from published sources and which will be printed in full in the accompanying booklet and of course which he modelled beautifully using the 48th scale Blue Max kit in one of my favourite builds of his.

Next we have two OAW-built Fokker D.VIIs which were flown by the Canadians (including Barker) at Upper Heyford in Oxfordshire post-war and later in Canada. The second of which (sadly unidentified) carries the racing number 50 (repeated without outlines beneath the lower wings) in which livery it was flown by Major Barker in the Toronto to New York Air Race of 1919. He, along with the majority of other contestants, was unable to finish the race due to poor weather conditions.

The last of the D.VII trio is the "Knowlton Fokker", currently preserved and on show in Canada. This is an amalgam of a variety of different machines with the fuselage from Albatros-built 6810/18 while the wings are of OAW manufacture. The scheme shown is broadly representative of the aircraft's current appearance but there are a mass of photos available on line to help you finish this one with its current hotch potch of four and five colour faded and weathered "lozenge" even including some patches of weirdly coloured repro fabric with oddly shaped lozenges.... Quite a challenge and it would make a most interesting model for some adventurous soul!

The decal sheet:

Set 32044 will be available during March priced at £7.50 plus P&P and pre-orders being taken now at the usual email address.

Markings for these six subjects (three Snipes and three D.VIIs) are all on the one set, 32044  , sorry for the confusing title!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:37:18 AM by rowan broadbent »
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 32043 - Wartime Snipe selection and the Canadian Fokkers!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 03:37:06 AM »
Count me in, Rowan!  Email on the way.  Thanks for listening, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

Re: 32044 - Wartime Snipe selection and the Canadian Fokkers!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:55:07 AM »
I'll be preordering both sets Rowan (followed shortly by another WNW order to service these exquisite markings!).  Thanks for listening and providing precisely what we were asking for!  My e-mail will be off to you shortly. ;D  I want the Jasta 18 sheet too!   :o

Regards,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »
Rowan,
 Outstanding! I want to be the first of our "Three Canucks" lobby team to thank you for listening and for your follow through on this. (For the Members edification three of us, myself, Gary (Trackpad), and Chris Johnson have been whining and dropping hints for these two subjects for some time.) Like many of his subjects Rowan considered customer inputs and suggestions on this one, and now it's part of his catalog.
   The Canadian Fokkers are of special interest, and their ultimate demise, like so many of the aircraft from the Great War, is large in Canadian Aviation History. I also am very pleased to see the two Aussie schemes included for the Snipe, I noticed wishes in that direction from some of our Down Under Members here recently. 
   A lot of companies could learn much from Pheon; attention and genuine interest in the customer's wishes, great service, and excellent products are all qualities that draw me to the "store", and I know I'm not alone.
   Thank You again Rowan, and my EMail is on the way. I was holding off on a Snipe order, with this development that will be dispatched imminently as well!
Cheers,
Lance :) :) :)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:19 AM »
You da man, Rowan! Is there no end to your talent?  ;)

Have you picked up Garry's (hannants London) message regarding the Fok.DVII Jasta 18 sheet? When he sees this sheet I think another message will follow soon after.

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »
This indeed excellent news. I certainly wasn't expecting to see the sheet materialize this quickly. I've already sent you my e-mail request.

And I was the guy who had zero interest in the D.VII, but now armed with three Great White North marking options, I'll soon have a stable of three of the kits.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
Yay!  Hoorah!  Count me in, Rowan!  I'll get an email to you over the weekend to reserve a set.  Thank you so much for producing an option for King.  I guess I'll plan on doing my 1/48th HiTech kit for Barker then. :D
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 03:56:21 AM »
Hi, Rowan,

As discussed, I'm in for two each of these sheets. Thanks so much for these. I never thought it possible, but you have come through with "flying colours" (!) again! Email to be sent shortly.  ;D

Edit: Email sent!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:13:59 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:32:19 PM »
  Pardon my ignorance, but what scale are these in? I would assume by the decal # they are 1/32 but.................... :-[
Will

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
  Pardon my ignorance, but what scale are these in? I would assume by the decal # they are 1/32 but.................... :-[
Will

The clue is in the decal number, as you so rightly surmise. Wrong scale for you?

Leonard Cohen

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
  Not at all ................... my favorite scale :-[   

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 01:11:49 AM »
Rowan,
   Any update on release or availability date on this one ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:15 AM »
Hello, Rowan,

Lance Carroll reports,"I just got my latest Windsock Worldwide and there’s an ad from Pheon saying the Snipe/Canadian DVII’s Sheet is available now." Both Lance and I pre-ordered (I'm in the books for two sheets), so can you confirm that the sheets are available and that those of us who pre-ordered will be getting a request for payment in the near future? TIA for any updates!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 04:54:55 AM »
Hello all,

We're in the UK at the moment - went to the Hendon RAF Museum model show yesterday and are nowvisiting grandaughter - well and daughter and son in law - but that's incidental as all you grandpas will know.......

We should be home in France on Wednesdy and I'llget on with finishing the booklet so the decals will be ready in a week or so. Anyone who has pre-ordered will be getting the usual Paypal request from Sabine - fear not, she won't forget you!

Rowan

Leonard Cohen

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »
I foresee a deluge of Barker Snipes. ;)  Thanks, Gramps.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence