Author Topic: Ignition Leads - Insulating Material  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Ignition Leads - Insulating Material
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
As I'll be painting the ignition leads on my S.E.5a soon, and not knowing what the proper colour would be, I'm just wondering what kind of insulating material was originally used on WWI aero engines. Was it rubber or a woven material of some kind? If they were covered in rubber, black would be a safe bet I would think, but if a woven material was used, they could be any colour. It seems to me that a restored engine would use modern leads so their colour might be suspect.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

mike in calif

Re: Ignition Leads - Insulating Material
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »
Chris, I do know that ordinary electrical wire was cloth covered back then. I'd have to guess that av wire was as well, but maybe made to a higher spec.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »
Im not sure if it would be the same but my house was built in 1910. There is still some stubs of the old knob and tube wiring in the attic. The cloth covering the wiring was actually a braided or woven material and the pattern was stripes of white,black,green and red running lengthwise along the wire.

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:19:56 PM by pepperman42 »

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:40:17 PM »
Wasn't the wire covered in a rubber coating then a braided woven material put over the rubber.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »
yes sorry that is correct

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »
Okay then, probably the leads were covered by a woven material. I'm definitely not going to try and replicate a multi-coloured scheme as that would drive me insane.

I wonder if a subdued beige-brown would be appropriate? My thinking here is that as they were being produced for military use, a dull colour would seem to be a sensible choice.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:49:08 AM »
You can't beat a photograph like that. Black it is then, Uncle Tony!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »
I like the idea of artistic licence in this instance because there is already a lot of black paint on the Viper. Black ignition leads will have a tendency to get lost in the mix. Maybe I'll change my mind yet again and go with a colour that adds a bit of contrast to it . . . as long as I don't get run out of town on a fence rail.  ::)

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »
Surely that's one of Des's engines UncleTony ;)......

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
  Chris,
Just a thought my old friend but why not paint them in a different shade of black. I seldom use pure black for much myself.I prefer using different shades ranging from very dark grayish black (Floquil Engine Black) to a medium dark grayish black (Model Master RLM 66) . The different shades can all be used together avoiding the one big black mass look.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:08 PM »
Good point Gregory. As I just happen to be passing by the LHS later today, I'll add some various shades of black to my list.

Cheers,

Chris