Author Topic: ww1 tank kit  (Read 2506 times)

Offline michael

ww1 tank kit
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »
has anyone built one of these kits before?

they would look great in a diorama

michael

“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: ww1 tank kit
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:05:00 AM »
While I haven't built those specific kits, I did build the Emhar Mk IV many, many moons ago in the '90's.

They are somewhat basic and very soft in detail. The plastic is a soft compound too. In regard to accuracy, the sponsons aren't correct, but you'd have to be an AFV enthusiast to get yourself worked up about the inaccuracies. For our purposes here, bearing in mind that they're 1/35 scale, any of these AFVs would look very good, heavily weathered and bogged down in a shell hole alongside a downed aircraft. There's also a German A7V by Taurus too, but I'm told it's a bear to build.

Cheers,

Chris

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:12:37 AM »
I remember one of the problems is the flexible tracks. They dont act like the large plates of the real thing as they go around the sprocket.

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:18:50 AM »
Yeh, they come in four lengths that need to be super glued into two track runs. Unfortunately, for War I AFV modellers, there isn't a whole lot to choose from. Naturally, I have hopes, admittedly faint, that Sir Peter will grace us with one or more of these tanks.

Cheers,

Chris

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
That would be very good indeed. I forgot to mention though Chris, you did an amazing job with the Emhar kit.

Steve

Offline michael

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »
great work on the tank Chris!

when i seen the tadpole kit i just thought it would make a fantastic diorama covered in mud and filth next to a downed pup in say no mans land, shell holes full of water, barbed wire etc..

i can picture it in my mind, all i lack is the skill to make it reality. maybe oneday  :)

cheers
michael

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:10:23 AM »
That ends up being a big display too. For good proportions without crowding it would be about 24x30 - but impressive!!.

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 02:34:03 AM »
Personally, I believe that it's well worth checking into 1/35 scale kits to compliment 1/32 scale aircraft models. The difference in scales is negligible in my mind.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline michael

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:00 AM »
1/72 would be better size wise, and kinder on the wallet but not the old eyesight  :)

michael

Offline DaveM

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:01 AM »
Accurate Armour do a set of resin WW1 tracks which are much better than the kit tracks which I used on the Whippet.There is also another company,but I forget their name,that produces different size tracks in resin.Airwaves (now owned by Hannants) produced a etched set that overcame some of the softer details of the Whippet.The fit of some of the parts isn't the best,especially around the turret area,requiring carefully applied filler so as not to destroy the surrounding detail.I tried scratchbuilding the Hotchkiss machine guns as the kit parts are poor.alas the kit still resides on the shelf of despair awaiting a better effort from me!I will drag it out again sometime as it builds into a good looking vehicle despite its faults.

Dave.

Offline Edo

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »
Mmmm.... I build one Mk IV male, all that yas been said it is true. But considering it is the only game in town, it still worths while... Get yourself a resin upgrade (tracks and mg) prepaer to a little scratchbild and go! Besides it has such big surface and so much rivets and bolts that weathering is pure joy!
Ciao Edo

mike in calif

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 08:08:46 AM »
I've the Whippet on the shelf of doo stalled projects. I drilled out barrels, wrapped the exhuasts in thread, and am not doing much more than that.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »
While I haven't built those specific kits, I did build the Emhar Mk IV many, many moons ago in the '90's.

They are somewhat basic and very soft in detail. The plastic is a soft compound too. In regard to accuracy, the sponsons aren't correct, but you'd have to be an AFV enthusiast to get yourself worked up about the inaccuracies. For our purposes here, bearing in mind that they're 1/35 scale, any of these AFVs would look very good, heavily weathered and bogged down in a shell hole alongside a downed aircraft. There's also a German A7V by Taurus too, but I'm told it's a bear to build.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,
Wow my old friend I'm blown away by your Mk. IV. Awesome! I'd love to see more of this beast.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"