Author Topic: My Simple Tribute - 1/72 Revell Fokker Dr.1  (Read 610 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
My Simple Tribute - 1/72 Revell Fokker Dr.1
« on: May 16, 2024, 07:26:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

A bit late to start, but I have decided to throw my hat in the ring as well as a tribute to my good friend. Dave always inspired me to get back to the bench, despite all of life's distractions (and even when he was no longer able to). I find myself in a position this year of being super busy with work, travel, and life, which has resulted in zero completions since about October last year, and a stalled project on the bench which just makes me groan a little knowing how much work I still have to go on it (which, in turn, has further discouraged me from sitting down at the bench). It's all conspired to result in me not having done much actual modelling this year so far, and not being terribly motivated to do any.

In watching all of the awesome responses and progress in this group build, I took inspiration and recollected Dave's words to me many moons ago, to remember the reasons why we find joy in our hobby, and focus on those aspects when we find ourselves not feeling motivated. So, on Sunday I cleared the bench, and decided to start one of the MANY kits I have in my stash, with the aim of simply building for joy, in tribute to Dave. My contribution will be a simple build of a simple yet fun subject, to get the mojo going, and get me back 'in the groove', as Dave would have wanted :)

In this case, I've settled on starting the 1/72 Revell Fokker Dr.1. This is the 2003 release, which is a much nicer release than the Revell kit originating from back in the 1960s. It is a very nice yet simple little kit of this iconic machine from the First World War (indeed it is a competitor for the best kit of this aircraft in 1/72, I think). Of course it complies with Revell's 'tradition' of releasing all of their Fokker Dr.1 kits in bright red plastic! ;D Maybe one day I should actually do a model as one of Richthofen's famous mounts...

The aim is to keep this one pretty simple, with only some minor modifications. In this case, I intend only on replacing the kit engine with an Eduard item, the guns with some Gaspatch guns, and a few minor upgrades here and there to the interior (i.e. seat mounts, seat belts, and so on) and exterior. The rest I will keep pretty much to what comes in the box, to maintain the spirit of this build.

Progress is small so far; I've built up the Eduard resin engine (designed for their kit but it fits the Revell kit fine), cleaned up the major parts, repositioned the control surfaces for some visual interest, and added some very crude seat mounts. For some reason Revell moulded recessed vertical panel lines on the fuselage, which I've filled with Mr Surfacer, to be sanded down later.

So far, even these simple small steps have reinvigorated me to getting back to the bench again... it's also reminded me of how small some of these aircraft are in 1/72!  :o

Thanks for looking,

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online DaddyO

Re: My Simple Tribute - 1/72 Revell Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 07:40:56 PM »
Great to see you again Brad and an excellent idea to get that mojo flowing ;D
(FWIW I sometimes think we get too bogged down in making a model as good as it can be and forget the actual pleasure of creation which building a model up from a kit brings)

I've never seen the new 72nd Revell DR1 in the flesh although chatting to a clubmate at a recent show he said that he preferred this one to the Eduard offering  :-\ It'll be good to see it being put together.

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 11:50:15 PM »
    Great choice Brad, and a neat little Kit it is! I will never forget Dave's enthusiasm for the hobby and particularly his emphasis on keeping the "enjoyment" of the experience paramount. Paul has appropriately commented in that here and he is right on the mark.
    ...... and certainly if this choice gets your "mojo" flowing again he would be doubly pleased with your decision!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 11:57:55 PM »
Hi Brad
This is a nice kit, I personally cannot remember the panel lines so I will have to go up in the attic and see if either of the ones I built were built without removing them. It is funny you should say one day you will do one of Richthofen's planes, why don't you do this one as his. One thing I regret is the early markings of his Dr 1 (or maybe his first Dr.1) has one of the coolest schemes but of the 5 I have built in 3 different scales none of them were in that scheme (I'm talking about the scheme that is half red half Fokker Streak).
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 12:33:16 AM »
That is a great choice and a Nice kit! Hopefully the build will be your motivation to get your Mojo back on track! One can never have too many triplanes  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 01:56:46 AM »
Nice start Brad.
 I too lost mojo for quite a while and I'm hoping this tribute will get the proverbial juices flowing again!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 12:54:40 PM »
I'm in the midst of a "lost mojo slump" that's lasted several months now, and your post really spoke to me. I'm excited to follow your build of this lovely kit.
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 06:03:47 PM »
Great choice. The Revell kit is indeed a lovely kit and doesn't need much work to produce a nice representation of the DrI. It is indeed tiny though!

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 04:47:51 PM »
Good choice of kit! Im sure you will enjoy it.

For the building / modeling mojo - mine also comes and goes. Kinda like waves. Sometime a quick simple build is all you need to get back into it  :)

Im looking forward to your progress!
//Ben

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2024, 08:01:27 PM »
Thanks all! I am indeed looking forward to this being a simple and relaxing build :) I did get some paint on the interior today, just waiting on the oil paints to dry and then I think progress should speed up. Thanks for the encouragement!

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2024, 09:06:58 PM »
Built one of these when it came out and found it a fun, nicely fitting kit. I look forward to watching. I have been stalled soooo many times by stopping at the point of a project where I don't to start when I come back to it!

Steve

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2024, 05:52:33 PM »
It's taken me a little while but I now have an interior.

The kit interior is quite nice as it is, with some errors and omissions, but the general layout is pretty much there. That means the kit cockpit doesn't need too much work, especially given the size of the cockpit opening is smaller than the size of a pea...

In the spirit of only making some minor adjustments to the basic kit, the only tweaks I made were the addition of the single piece of fuselage frame under the cockpit coaming, some rudder pedals and gun triggers from fine wire, the aforementioned basic seat mounts, some seatbelts from tape, and a small amount of rigging.

It all looks a bit chunky in the close up photos, sadly... but it's all rather small to my old eyes...!

I also have an engine... though the kit engine is fine enough as it is, I replaced it with the Eduard Brassin replacement engine designed for their 1/72 kit. It will do just fine, me thinks.

Anyways, next, onto joining up the fuselage. I expect things to progress a bit more speedily from there...!

Cheers,

Brad C 
Owner and Administrator

Online Allan31

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2024, 11:41:02 PM »
Great progress Brad, if not MvR scheme then who?
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2024, 12:44:23 AM »
Beautifully painted interior and Engine Brad!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online enathan

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2024, 01:08:37 AM »
The interior looks great Brad! The 'new' Revell kit looks much better than the 60' one which was the last Dr.I that I've built.