Author Topic: Fokker V23 (A first scratchbuilt)  (Read 1093 times)

Offline DaddyO

Fokker V23 (A first scratchbuilt)
« on: May 13, 2024, 08:00:10 PM »
Okay well I'll admit it does use a number of modified DVII components, but shall we say it's my first non-kit  :-\ ;)

Anyway looking at my current stock of Eduard 72nd DVII kits (Which thanks to Nigel increased dramatically last year) I decided to use a couple up to build this prototype from the 2nd fighter competition. A pair of fuselages were spliced together and detail removed since the exhaust exit was different from standard. (I'd later re-instate the cowl panels with plastic card) A nice resin engine from the 'Fokker Fokker' boxing was used although not much can be seen with the exhaust carved from sprue.

Wings were carved from solid (!) plastic since I had an old Merlin Junkers J2 kit which was sitting idle. Tail was a reshaped Hanriot item (I think) that happened to have the correct rib spasing. Undercarriage legs and tail skid from brass and the headrest cut down from the spare Albatros one I didn't use on the recent DV build  :-[
Propeller is carved from plywood laminations as usual with and etched brass hub.

Paul

« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 08:22:57 PM by DaddyO »
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline DaddyO

Re: Fokker V23 (A first scratchbuilt)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 08:14:19 PM »
The build was quite uncomplicated. the finishing however . . . .  :o

Usually depicted in four colour lozenge I started with some lovely Aviattic decals making templates and cutting each section. However being transparent so folks cleverer than me can do wonderful weathering stuff was not helpful. Any overlap showed darker and any gap left the recommended white undercoat showing - very frustrating. I persevered and eventually got it done. Unfortunately while handing I found that because I hadn't immediately coated it with varnish the very beautiful fabric effect lozenge was easily damaged. Touching up didn't work because the fine fabric pattern of the decal meant that even if the colour was matched the paint stood out.
Eventually I tired of beating myself up and stripped the lot off. I did try the Eduard ones, but they are the 'peel varnish off when settled type' which worked well in some places and not others :'(

Putting it aside for a few days rather than immediately testing its aerodynamic properties I stripped it off again and found some Aviattic 5 colour on white backing (intended for rib tapes) and am happy to say used that. In my fevered mind the justification for 5 rather than 4 colour was there were other aircraft at the same competition using 5 colour fabic and would Tony Fokker really present something with the 'old' pattern on it . . . ;)

Anyway here's a view of the underside. Stitching effect is from an Archer decal under the lozenge.

Paul

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 08:18:45 PM »
And here she is sitting on her new wooden base

(Incidentally the wing was painted twice after decalling because I noticed a slight stress crack appearing in the top of one wing which bugged me. Sanding down got rid of it, but meant a re-paint which didn't go according to plan yada, yada, yada - you get the picture by now. Still better finished than perfect  ;D)

Paul

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 08:21:14 PM »
Since this design was rejected out of hand at the competition I thought the addition of a suitably unimpressed Idflieg Officer was required so he'll be added once painted up, but here he stands after some Dr Frankenstein and putty work   :D

Paul

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 08:47:13 PM »
A nice little model. Congratulations on your first (almost) scratch! (Something I have never dared to do  ;))
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 10:40:49 PM »
A heroic effort! I’ve always been fascinated by this aeroplane, Paul, and have been thinking of scratchbuilding one for a while now. If I ever actually do get around to it I hope it comes out half as good as yours.

Dutch

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 11:07:17 PM »
A nice little model. Congratulations on your first (almost) scratch! (Something I have never dared to do  ;))

;D Cheers Prze

A heroic effort! I’ve always been fascinated by this aeroplane, Paul, and have been thinking of scratchbuilding one for a while now. If I ever actually do get around to it I hope it comes out half as good as yours.

Dutch

Thanks Dutch - do Have a go at one. The build part wasn't too hard I just made a pigs ear of the finishing process  ::) (I blame it on my inexperience since I've only built about a dozen models so far. One thing's for sure I need to be practicing my decal application)
Looking at the few photos of it I wasn't sure if the wings were painted or 'wood' finish which would be a nice option (I decided that since I may get around to one of the others, perhaps with a rotary engine, I'll do that one with varnished wings)

Paul

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 01:20:06 AM »
Awesome results Paul! It doesn't matter if you call it scratchbuilt, kitbashed or whatever. It is a great looking model!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 02:13:27 AM »
Well this is something different, Paul!

Not heard of this type before so very interesting.   Your work on this looks really good despite the decal issues.

I can personally vouch for some models flying into the bin when things go badly wrong .......

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 02:35:30 AM »
Awesome results Paul! It doesn't matter if you call it scratchbuilt, kitbashed or whatever. It is a great looking model!
RAGIII

Thanks RAGIII  ;D

Certainly looks very modern next to the more usual bipes and tripes

Well this is something different, Paul!

Not heard of this type before so very interesting.   Your work on this looks really good despite the decal issues.

I can personally vouch for some models flying into the bin when things go badly wrong .......

Regards

Dave

Cheers Dave ;D

Apparently infused with his success at the first competition (The DVII prototype was a winner) Mr Fokker entered 10 different aircraft at the second competition if you include the various DVII variations. I recall reading that the V23 and its fore runner the V20 came closest to Platz's ideal layout, but it was rejected because of it's poor downward visibility. Still quite a pretty looking thing  (The parasol winged V28 went on to win the competition morphing into the EV / DVIII)

Paul

Offline enathan

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 02:55:35 AM »
Very nice one Paul!
The late war Fokker V types were obviously the shape of things to come.
Having found the Omega Fokker V.29 (which is now available again) I'm still looking for the V.27...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 AM »
Excellent. Welcome to the world of scratch building - a whole new group of subjects beckons!

For a first attempt that is first class - just a shame that the finishing caused you so many problems. The laminated propellor is first class. Looking forward to more scratch builds from you.

Stephen.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 04:09:52 AM »
Very nice one Paul!
The late war Fokker V types were obviously the shape of things to come.
Having found the Omega Fokker V.29 (which is now available again) I'm still looking for the V.27...
Thanks Stephen. V27 doesn't look too difficult a prospect if you are starting with a spare V29 kit . . . . ;)

Excellent. Welcome to the world of scratch building - a whole new group of subjects beckons!

For a first attempt that is first class - just a shame that the finishing caused you so many problems. The laminated propellor is first class. Looking forward to more scratch builds from you.

Stephen.

Cheers Stephen. Problems entirely down to my own ineptitude   ::) Really enjoyed the process and was less work than, say, polishing up a kit such as the DH5 from KP I recently did.

Got a couple of more straightforward models on the go presently, but have already lined up something 'interesting' to have a go at once one of them is done. So many fabulous designs and you don't even need to go too far off the beaten track to find a new subject in this period that's crying out to be built.

Paul

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 04:39:14 AM »
This is just wonderful!  Beautiful work, and you're braver than I for sure.
I either didn't know, or had forgotten that Aviattic had white background lozenge. I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

Warren

Offline NigelR

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 06:29:06 PM »
Lovely work all round Paul, and well done for persevering through some trials and tribulations along the way. It's a unique model and looks pretty good to me, I don't think any of the challenges you had create any issues on the end result.

Lovely work on the figure and, as always, great to see a base for the plane as well. I'm glad those kits are being put to good use!